This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KRZR as Dial out Modem

I currently run on Kubuntu Gutsy and would like to use My Motorola KRZR to connect to the internet via USB or bluetooth. I would rather use USB to do this but if it can be done via Bluetooth I will give that a try. I am on AT&T and have unlimited data plane.

If anyone know how this can be done please let me know.

Re: KRZR as Dial out Modem

Actually, it looks like it may be easier to do it via Bluetooth, than via USB.
    That is not to say that it is going to be easy.

The Razr V3... has a lot of support, but I don't know how the Krzr might be listed.
    http://tuxmobil.org/phones_survey_motorola.html

Does the Krzr use a VXxx number, for a model number?
    The answers are out there...

Comment

That for the link but it was not much help as my specific phone was not listed. If you have any other ideas or if anyone else has the answer or some advice I would greatly appreciate it

Comment

I didn't take the time to verify that the KRZR supports "phone as modem", I'm simply making the assumption that you've already verified this and that it does.

If it's anything like all the other phones or PCMCIA data cards out there that I've seen, the phone should look (to the computer) as an old school serial modem.

Generally, this means that they use the usbserial driver.

Hook up your phone to the USB port on your system. Drop to the command line using what ever terminal app you prefer, and run the command "lsusb" (without the quotes of course).

I happen to be using a verizon PCMCIA card, but the basic concepts should still work.

Look at the output from lsusb. See if you can find a device there that looks like your phone modem. You'll see and ID listed for that device. For my verizon card, it says:

ID 0f3d:0112 Airprime, Incorporated CDMA 1xEVDO PC Card, PC5220

Right after ID, the first number (0f3d) is the vendor code, the second (0112) is the product code.

You'll need to add a line to /etc/modules (use sudo so that you have write permissions to the file)

For me, I had to add the line:

usbserial vendor=0xf3d product 0x0112 maxsize=2048

Don't ask me why the x's are necesary. If you follow the pattern it should work.

Save the file, disconnect your phone, wait a few seconds, and reconnect it. You could also reboot, just to be absolutely sure that the updated info gets read when you connect your phone, but it isn't necessary.

I suggest editing /etc/ppp/options as well (again using sudo so you can save it). Look for any configuration lines that start with "lcp" (I think there are two). You will want to comment those lines out by adding a # in front of them. This may help solve problems with random disconnects.

Once the phone has reconnected, you should be able to use kppp to setup a dialup connection.

Run Kppp and click configure. First, select the modem tab. You need to give the modem that you're setting up a name. I called mine EVDO. You might call yours AT&T or whatever you like. The modem device for my setup was /dev/ttyusb0. Select that in the drop down menu. I don't have any reason to believe that yours will be any different unless you have another device in your system that also uses the usbserial driver (maybe a USB external dial-up modem). Most likely, you don't, since they're not real common anymore.

Once you setup your modem in Kppp (so that it knows what hardware to use), you can create a new dial-up account. I do not know what number you need to dial, or what username/password combination you will need to access AT&T's network.

For Verizon, I dial #777 with a username of [10-digit-phone]@vzw3g.com and a password of vzw. I know that AT&T is different. You can probably google to find out what to enter into those fields.

**One last warning... the cell phone carriers view unlimited data plans for the handset to be different than phone as modem (PAM) plans. Depending on your handset, they may be able to tell if you're using the data on the phone itself, or using the data on a tethered laptop. Some phones have ways to turn off this tracking, some do not. For example, sprint charges $.03 per KILOBYTE!!! if you tether your phone to your PC without a PAM plan. That costs $30.72 per MEGABYTE!! Be very careful, make sure that you have your plan setup correctly or it could get VERY expensive.

-SF

Comment

Thank you for the help I am still at a loss. Still not able to get this working if you have any other suggestion I am always willing to try them. Again thank you for the help

Comment

What problems are you having? How far did you get before you got "hung up"?

I might be able to clarify if I knew where you're having trouble.

Don't give up yet. You should be able to make it work.

Did you find out what to dial and what login credentials to use?

You might also need to call AT&T and make sure your account is setup to use the phone as a modem. Rather than charge you an arm and a leg for data "a la carte", they may just not let you do it if you don't have your plan setup right.

-SF

Comment

I found the dial-up information for you. I think this is what you'll need.

For the number to dial: *99***1#
              Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
              Password: CINGULAR1

I'm not 100% sure, but it might get you closer.

-SF

Comment

I have been using my phone as modem on windows for monthes now on this laptop.

The step that I get hung up on is after I go thru setting up the modem to use ttyusb0 - whatever, then try to connect I get a msg stating no dial tone detected. and it stops

and now I get the msg on the screen shot

Attached Files

Comment

If you query the modem do you get any response back?

In KPPP, click configure > select the modem tab > select the modem > click edit > click the modem tab > click query modem

This tab also has a check box to not wait for a dial tone before dialing.

If you don't get a response back when you query the modem...

What was the text of the line that you added to the /etc/modules file?

Were you able to find the vendor and device codes for your phone?

I'm wondering if the USB serial driver loaded properly. It should have set it up as that device, but I suppose it is possible that it's at a different location.

-SF

Comment

One other thing to check...

With the phone connected, open up the K menu > System > Kinfocenter

Click on the devices item in the list on the left. Look through the devices that appear on the right and see if one of those looks like it might be your modem. It would let you know what to use instead of /dev/ttyUSB0

-SF

Comment

My wife got tired of me taking our Verizon air card to work with me and leaving her with no internet when I work weekends.

I bought a Samsung A900 on eBay and set it up last night to use it as an EVDO modem.

For some reason the A900 wants to use /dev/ttyusb2

I also found out that if you try different modem devices to find your modem, you have to click OK to make the change each time and then go back into edit the modem and go to the tab where you can query the modem.

Did you ever have any luck?

-SF

Comment

I am still working on this. still fighting with it.
                        as a side note I am also not able to get my regular modem to work. cannot get the restricted drivers ti install. Wireless is not working correctly I am getting very frustrated. I had friend of mine, of which I consider an expert, look at my system he is not able to get things working.
                        I have, since my last done away with Windows all together on this machine and I am now strictly Kubuntu. My hindrance is I dont have ready access to a broadband connection. So there for getting drivers installed are a real pain that is why I was trying to get my phone to work.

Comment

Ok here are the specs on my Laptop

Microprocessor 1.8 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor ML-34 with PowerNow!™ Technology
                          Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
                          Memory 1024MB 333MHz DDR System Memory (2 Dimm)
                          Memory Max 2048mb
                          Video Graphics ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M IGP
                          Video Memory 128MB DDR (shared)
                          Hard Drive 120GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive
                          Multimedia Drive LightScribe 8X DVD±RW and CD-RW Combo Drive with Double Layer Support
                          Display 14.0” WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 768)
                          Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
                          Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
                          Wireless Connectivity 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM / SpeedBooster and BroadRange support & Bluetooth™
                          Sound Altec Lansing
                          Keyboard 101-key compatible
                          Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
                          PC Card Slots

* 1 Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also support 16-bit)

External Ports

* 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
                          * 1 headphone-out
                          * 1 microphone-in
                          * 1 VGA (15-pin)
                          * 1 TV-Out (S-video)
                          * 1 RJ-11 (modem)
                          * 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
                          * 1 notebook expansion port 2
                          * 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)

Dimensions 13.15" (L) x 9.1" (W) x 1.29" (min H)/1.53" (max H)
                          Weight 5.38lbs
                          Security

* Kensington® MicroSaver lock slot
                          * Power-on password
                          * Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

* 65W AC adapter
                          * 6-Cell Lithium-Ion

Comment

Working...
                          X