This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless troubles with belkin usb stick and linksys pci card

hi, kubuntu gutsy gibbon 7.10 is the first time ive ever used an OS other than windows so i don't know too much and hence i'm having a few problems..
    I have a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter plugged in, and also i have a Linksys PCI card in, however knetworkmanager wont detect any networks. i have spent hours searching the net and tried many things and i did get it to work at one stage, however when i rebooted it the next day the settings seem to have just been lost or something? now after hours of trying again i cant get it to work
    when i type iwconfig i get this
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSIDff/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.442 GHz Access Point: Invalid
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    so it seems to detect both of them and yet i dont get any networks showing up. the other day when it worked after messing around i just clicked on the icon and 3 wireless networks were listed, i did not install any drivers (afaik...) and so im puzzled as to why it wont work now, does anyone have any suggestions please?

Re: wireless troubles with belkin usb stick and linksys pci card

I don't know about the Belkin model, but I am familiar with setting up Linksys (Broadcom) based cards. Did you use the Restricted Drivers or ndiswrapper to set up your Linksys card? Why do you have two wireless nics? I suggest unplugging the usb nic until we can get the first one working. Do you have an ethernet nic in the computer as well that you could plug in until we get the wireless working?

Comment

hi thanks for the reply. the reason i have 2 is simply because i use to use the PCI linksys card, and i had heard that the USB one might be better for detecting wireless and also setting up, so i bought one and put it in, and just didnt remove the PCI one. having both of them in works fine on windows so i have just left it is all.
      as for drivers, i have not installed any drivers, that is why i am confused as to why it doesn't work, it worked the other day, but after restarting it just stopped and now i get nothing on either wireless adapters. i do not beleive ndiswrapper is installed either.
      my pc is upstairs and there is no way of connecting it via wires to the main computer i'm afraid.
      sorry to be so brief.

Comment

The Broadcom card works fine. Unplug the USB adapter and reboot. If you adapter is not working. Here is a good tutorial:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

You should probably download/burn either the DVD or the Alternate CD so that you can install the software without an Internet connection.

Comment

Working...
        X