This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabit network support question?

My motherboard has built-in gigabit network support. It apparently uses a VIA Technologies ethernet chip. But when I check the bandwidth in KNetworkManager, that tells me the bandwidth is only 100 Mbps. Is there a problem with the driver in linux for that chipset or does Kubuntu just not support gigabit ethernet? Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Gigabit network support question?

The 'simple' answer is this: while the ethernet chip may be capable of higher throughput, the pipe it is connected to may not.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not sure about if Kubuntu supports it or not but I know for it to work you need a gigabit switch. The network will only be as fast as it's slowest component.

Comment

Thanks for replying, but I'm sure this isn't my problem. I do have a gigabit switch and in fact I've been spending some money to upgrade all my networking components to gigabit speed. That's kind of the source of my frustration if after all that Kubuntu doesn't even support gigabit speed.
        As a test, I installed another gigabit network card in my computer and plugged that one in. And indeed, knetworkmanager recognizes that card as gigabit and reports that it is connected at 1000 Kbps. So I think is capable of handling gigabit speeds, but I don't know why it doesn't recognize my motherboard's built in LAN port as gigabit. Can anyone shed light on this? How can I test the actual throughput from one computer to another? I'm curious if the connection is actually operating at gigabit speed but only reporting it as 10/100. I'd like to sort that out first.
        Thanks again for any and all help you can give.

Comment

Working...
        X