X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu gateway pc with dsl router

Hi All,

Is it possible to setup a kubuntu box as a gateway/router when you connect to the internet with a dsl router?

My dsl router has a fixed ip address of 192.168.1.1 and the kubuntu box has two ethernet cards:

eth0 is connected to the dsl router -and the internet, eth1 is connected to a network switch with another 3 pcs running windows XP.

I want to setup a local lan on eth1 and use a NAT firewall like ipkungfu to get internet access on the lan machines via eth0 (connected to the dsl router).

Is this setup possible? I just cannot seem to get it to work.

I have eth0 set to 192.168.1.100 and eth1 set 192.168.25.1- both with netmask 255.255.255.0. I cannot ping any pc from within the lan, ping just says 'host unreachable'

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated-all the howtos I have looked at say it should work.

Thanks in advance.

Re: kubuntu gateway pc with dsl router

I'm not sure I can actually be of any help since I've never worked with those apps or actually even done this myself. But I imagine it should (ha ha) be pretty straight forward. The only thing I can do is ask a few questions to see if that helps your troubleshooting. So, here goes:
    (1) does the kubuntu box get to the internet through the eth0 card?
    (2) are each of the XP boxes actually getting IP addresses from the eth1 card?
    (3) are you trying to ping the internal boxes by their IP addresses or netbios names?
    (4) do you have a DNS server set up on the kubuntu box?
    (5) can you ping through to an address on the internet from the XP boxes?
    I'm guessing that the answers to some of these questions should help identify the culprit.

Comment

Working...
    X