This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really weird networking problem

For a little while, Kubuntu 7.10 has been working quite well for me. Then one day the network suddenly stops working. KNetworkManager says it's "connecting", but after the icon goes back to normal, I check the Wired tooltip to see it has a null IP of 0.0.0.0, and none of the internet apps work. I tried a manual configuration, but to no avail, and now I can't seem to get it back to automatic mode.

Here's the weirdest part. This thing is rigged to duel-boot between Windows XP home and Kubuntu Gutsey. Once Windows froze and I had to do an improper shutdown and loaded up Kubuntu to see if the network would work again, since I had to restart anyway, and it did, though KNet didn't show any device status. I went back into Windows, and then later shut it down properly, went back into Kubuntu, and I couldn't connect again. So I went back into Windows and purposefully did an unclean shutdown to test a theory, and when I went back into Kubuntu, the network worked again, though KNet still didn't show any auto-connect settings or device stats. So it seems Kubuntu will work on the net, but only if the Windows partition has been shut down improperly. Has this happened to anyone before, and is there a way to fix it without doing a complete reinstall of the distro.

PS: I don't think I said this, but thanks for that link to the nVIDIA howto a few months ago. That thing worked like a charm!

Re: Really weird networking problem

You didn't specify whether you are connecting via wireless or not. If wireless, you might want to review gilf's How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh, my bad. It's a wired connection (Cable through Ethernet)

Comment

Router??
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i think your problem is the most easy to solve :P

reset to the modem or router and after that should work

sorry for my bad English

cheers from Portugal
          david

Comment

Nah, I've tried the router stuff before (power cycling and the like). It works perfectly in Windows, and seems to work in Kubuntu when Windows isn't properly shut down. I seem to get the really unusual problems.

Comment

I am experiencing the same connection problems.

Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Gutsy..

Router not the problem since my "other" PC connects fine.

Is there documentation on set-up of Knetwork manager available somewhere?

What is zeroconf supposed to do?

Comment

I had some similar issues running Gutsy. The problems did not start until I updated network-manager from 0.6.5-0ubuntu16 to 0.6.5-0ubuntu16.7.10.0. I was not able to connect to wireless on every third boot. Then one day I could not connect at all no matter what I did. I decided to reinstall and have not updated the network-manager package. Since then, I have only had to deal with the occasional weirdness common with network-manager.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X