This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless network auto-scanning

Many of the problems occur because people do not realize that the way to connect is by clicking a bar-graph network line when first opening the Networkmanager icon. Clicking the signal graph display is a non-intuitive way of adding a password.. They try other options in the drop down preferences list to try to connect and/or add WPA passwords etc. -- sometimes by turning off roaming, and adding entries manually. Then they try to save this new configuration for loading when Ubuntu starts up. The effect of this change is to alter the etc/network/interfaces file so that auto-scanning of networks is now disabled. The program now tries to open only the connection they specified manually -- no other networks are visible, and often the one they specified was incorrectly set up or they have moved their location and it is no longer available. Restoring the interfaces file as above removes the saved manual entry, and auto scanning is restored.
    This is what happened to me but I didn't try to configure anything different for when Kubuntu starts up. Somehow, I accidentally disabled auto-scanning? In any event, the option disappeared and only manual network configuration was left. Which, at least for me, doesn't work.

Re: wireless network auto-scanning

If you can't connect to the internet via WIFI, check out this thread; if that doesn't work, try this one.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I'm asking how to turn on roaming again and re-enable the 'auto-scanning' of the wireless network. It's the ONLY way I can connect to wireless. It's been that way with every distro I've tried, especially any KDE-based (therefore, using KNetwork Manager?) distro. I assume the Gnome-based distros with Network Manager would be the same deal.

Auto-scanning working and I can connect. Auto-scanning not working or disabled and I CAN'T connect. I didn't want to disable it. It just happened and I can't explain it. There is no option that I could find to re-enable. It's ridiculous.

That is how the developers set it up as far as I can tell. Forcing the user to use manual configuration totally removes several options.

When the auto scanning was working, it allows choosing the connection and setting up with a router. WPA is an option etc. When something goes wrong and the roaming/auto scanning "goes away", all the options disappear. I am not sure how this happens as I didn't note it.

My usb wireless adapter works 'out of the box' but it can't bring the auto scanning back! Those links contain tons of information but most of that shouldn't apply. If it does, how do I get the wireless back? Seems like a lot to do which shouldn't be necessary.

Btw, my experiments have been such:
      *roaming and auto-scan works initially with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora (both with LiveCD and after HDD install)
      *for whatever reason, on LiveCD, roaming/auto scan didn't work with Sidux, Debian Testing and Debian Etch.... it just wasn't present

*eventually the auto-scan/roaming 'disappeared' or vanished in Kubuntu (just happened) and Fedora... thus, wireless stopped working

Pattern?

Comment

Ahhh, OK; right-click the KNetworkManager icon on your taskbar and select the "Manual Configuration" option. Click the device name and choose "Configure Interface...". Check the "Automatic: dhcp" option and choose "Activate when the computer starts" if necessary. Then, click "OK" followed by "Enable Interface".

See if that helps any . . .
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

AutoScanning and Roaming disappear, in my experience when someone manually configures KnetworkManager and then saves the configuration for startup.

This is an easy mistake to make, and it should be easily reversible. But also in my experience it is not, depending on how much manual configuration you did and from what entry point (the icon on the taskbar, the menu KnetworkManager, the System Settings on the Menu.

Again this is NOT AN APOLOGY for the KnetworkManager user interface, just a statement of my experience.

I've already given instructions on how to restore the interfaces file and therefore bring your system back to the originally installed condition.

Comment

I've already given instructions on how to restore the interfaces file and therefore bring your system back to the originally installed condition.
            . . . which, by the way, is an awesome piece of work
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by gilf
              AutoScanning and Roaming disappear, in my experience when someone manually configures KnetworkManager and then saves the configuration for startup.

This is an easy mistake to make, and it should be easily reversible. But also in my experience it is not, depending on how much manual configuration you did and from what entry point (the icon on the taskbar, the menu KnetworkManager, the System Settings on the Menu.

Again this is NOT AN APOLOGY for the KnetworkManager user interface, just a statement of my experience.

And to this end, I strongly suggest that you update your post on the wireless HOWTO using KNetworkManager. I'm also asking that a Forum Moderator 'stick' the HOWTO so that it stays at the top of the HOWTO section. This issue of wireless is one that seems to afflict a lot of members.

Thank you.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Integr8e and Snowhog, I think there's a possibility that there should be another modification of that post as well -- but it will require others with different WiFi cards than I do to test out -- can we get that going here on a volunteer basis?

It has occured to me that the original network interfaces file laid down when first installing onto HD might vary -- possibly because of hardware detection during boot on the LiveCD.

If this is true, I should modify my instructions for restoring the interfaces file. The way to do it then would be to have a user boot form LiveCD, verify that the KnetworkManager is working properly.

If it is, they should stay in LiveCD mode and navigate to the network interfaces file and copy the file contents.

Then boot to HD and navigate to the same file and manually restore it to what they copied.

What I wanted to test is whether the network interface file varies in the LiveCD mode depending on the wifi card present.

I only have one card to test and my file is the same as the one presented in the how-to (and the same as the one presented by elabranche)

If you guys or others have different cards and get different interfaces files when booting from LiveCD this would confirm it. I'd like to know what your results are.

Be sure to check this from LiveCD -- the installed version may be modified.

As for the sticky how-to I'm sure they can do that if they think it's desirable.

You know the biggest problem with all of this is that so much confusion is being generated by alternative methods of solving this simple interface problem. People are making all kinds of changes to their systems, and in many cases managing to connect in some alternative way, but often unsatisfactorily. They then tell others to follow their example because KnetworkManager doesn't work or is buggy. When in fact it would have worked for them out of the box if they only knew how to do it.

I'm not saying that ALL problems can be traced to a simple misunderstanding in how to use the program -- there may be some bugs that are legitimate, and certainly a few network cards may have special driver requirements. But these legitimate problems are being masked and confused in a sort of massive panic on the forums -- created mainly by the simple interface problem.

I'm not sure what can be done about this.

Comment

Working...
                X