This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for KDE tool to control network settings

I have just installed Gutsy from the alternate CD to my HDD. Right now, I'm looking around to see if there is a graphical tool to control network settings. I want to be able to change interfaces from DHCP to Static IP, control DNS settings, and so forth.

I've seen references to knetworkmanager in a couple of posts in this forum. This shows up in my KDE menu under Network, but when I select it nothing happens. Investigating further, in Adept Manager I saw it was not installed, and the description includes: "This is a dummy package to depend on network-manager-kde for upgrades. It can safely be removed."

Despite this implication that it doesn't do anything ("a dummy package"), I went ahead and installed it. But this doesn't change the fact that nothing happens when I bring up Network / knetworkmanager.

I also have an icon on the taskbar, and when I click it, a window opens entitied "Network Status - knetworkmanager". This shows my current connection settings, but as far as I can tell it doesn't allow me to change anything. On the right side of this window is a "Network" tab, but it is grayed out.

Finally, in Adept I also see that there is a "knetworkconf" package which is installed, and the description says it is a KDE control center module to control network settings, but I can't find this from my KDE menus.

Maybe I've missed something on my menus. Can someone tell me if I am supposed to have a tool to control network settings, and how to get to it?

Re: looking for KDE tool to control network settings

Originally posted by harmlesscat
    I also have an icon on the taskbar, and when I click it, a window opens entitied "Network Status - knetworkmanager". This shows my current connection settings, but as far as I can tell it doesn't allow me to change anything. On the right side of this window is a "Network" tab, but it is grayed out.
    Right click on it, pretty sure what you want is under configure. This icon is knetworkmanager which is why when you click on it in the menu nothing seems to happen as its already open.

Comment

knetworkmanager has been and continues to be dysfunctional. I have been using wicd http://wicd.sourceforge.net/. Getting the tray icon set up is a bit fiddly. If you follow the instructions in this thread, you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks for pointing wicd out, I've never heard of it before. I didn't see anything in its list of features, but does it provide VPN support?

Edit: Nevermind, I should have looked harder; I found the answer on this thread (look close to the bottom). Apparently wicd doesn't currently support VPN, but will soon. Until then, I believe I'll have to stick with KNetworkManager.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

@harmless: Try doing alt+F2 and typing kcontrol. This will give you the original control center for KDE. You should have plenty of networking stuff in there.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X