Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

knetworkmanager went from auto to manual config?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager went from auto to manual config?

I installed kubuntu 7.10 just a week ago and it has been running really smooth until yesterday. I started up the computer yesterday and I had no internet connection seeing knetworkmanager was in "manual network configuration" mode which I have no idea how it went into.

Ive been looking around the forum, editing the /etc/network/interfaces file to no avail and tried to reinstall knetworkmanager but the man. config thing is still going on.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Arvast

Re: knetworkmanager went from auto to manual config?

You didn't say if you are using a wired or wireless connection. But, gilf's post here might help you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My apologies, Im on wireless connection.

I followed gilfs guide but it didnt help. Still no connection to the internet

Comment

I had a vaguely similar problem (in that I got my wireless settings stuffed up) and was able to solve it by deleting /etc/network/interfaces and then restarting (a new /etc/network/interfaces was generated automatically). Obviously back up a copy of the file just incase it doesn't solve things. Might be worth a try?

Comment

It seems like resetting the file works until I reboot. I dont know why, but with the reset file I managed to get wicd instead. It keeps me connected and I havent had any troubles yet. But I want to use knetworkmanager for easier and automated access =/

Comment

The problem seems to have mutated from a description of a strange spontaneous alteration of the interfaces file from automatic to manual, to no connection to the internet.

These are two different things. No connection, is just no connection -- meaning there is insufficient signal to the card, or the card is bad or its drivers are not in place or corrupted.

If you would try the LiveCD procedure I mentioned one more time (from the Live CD only):

After you click on the NetworkManager Icon (white and red) what does it show? If the pop out menu says there is no internet connection, that's it. Procede no further in trying to fix NetworkManager. It means you have a card or signal problem, and there is literally no connection. Cards do occasionally fail. Signals do sometimes get weak or disappear or get blocked by noise sources. Sometimes you router is off, the wifi card is not seated, etc.

If on the other hand you see the name of a connection or connections (their ESSIDs) with little bargraphs, click on one of these network lines to connect to that one--- that should work -- I would say, invariably it will work --- if your system is seeing a connection.

(Well unless KnetworkManager got corrupted, in which case you would need to remove and reinstall it)

Do not try to configure anything manually, and do not try this in installed HD mode as a test, since you have already altered that system and results will be confusing, inconclusive or false. LiveCD mode for tests only. It eliminates all of the changes to drivers, network software, interfaces file, etc, and puts you on a level playing field

Comment

Well I do get connection on the LiveCD and i did try removing and installing knetworkmanager again.

Just after a restart knetworkmanager had gone into "manual configuration" mode and I hadnt touched it. Which is weird. But I got it working with wicd now, though I wish I could have it working just as great with knetworkmanager.

Comment

Try this in /etc/network/interfaces (in other words, comment out everything except the 'auto' line for interfaces you want knetworkmanager to handle)
                Code:
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback
                address 127.0.0.1
                netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
                #iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
                #iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
                #iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
                #iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
                #iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Comment

As I said in my first post, I tried that to no avail.

It works for a while, usually until I reboot. Then I need to redo it again.

Comment

Did you try uninstalling wicd and see if that helps?

Comment

Yes, Ive gone back and forth twice.

Comment

Guys, I'm following this post with interest. I too, have a similar issue. kcontrol shows an active, enabled wireless interface. knetworkmanager shows only wired connection, but in it's options, it highlights the "Disable Wireless" option, inferring that wireless is alive. Also (maybe of no consequence), on each reboot, the wired connection number adds 1 (eth17. . . . .eth18).

Comment

My Kubuntu install is not connected either. I am also not sure what I did to 'disturb' the automatic option for connecting (allowing me to choose the strongest wireless signal) but I have the famous 'NO wireless choice' problem. There is no 'bar graph' or signals I can choose. There is no option for WPA. I also can't configure it manually although it is 'stuck' on that option.

I am going to try editing the /etc/network/interfaces file. I suggest this modification:

/etc/network/intefaces:

auto wlan0
                          iface wlan0 inet static
                          address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                          netmask 255.255.255.0
                          gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                          pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
                          pre-up ifconfig wlan0 up
                          pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid "sjsjdjdjdjdjdjdjd"
                          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
                          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK=sjsjsjsjjsjsjs
                          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=TKIP

The above looks like it is set for static and to configure upon boot up. Is that what is happening? Do I understand that, correctly? I think it is a safer method to use rather than the flaky network managers that don't work.

Comment

Working...
                          X