This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong wireless network being found

Autodetecting and grabbing firmware worked well enough, but the broadcom internal wireless on my Acer laptop wasn't automatically configured or enabled.

I configured and enabled it, but now it cannot find my wireless network (another laptop under windows finds it just fine, and a desktop under feisty has no problem).

There are a couple of (much) weaker networks within range. When I use dhcp, it finds one of those--but can't ping the gateway. When I specify my own router's IP address and manually set the IP of the laptop, it just doesn't find the gateway. From the same spot in the house, windows describes the signal strength as "excellent" for my own network.

I know the card works (or at least used to ; under FreeBSD, it easily set up and used the network.

Is there something in the network configuration that I might be missing, particularly something similar to the listing of available wireless networks under windows?

Thanks

hawk
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: Wrong wireless network being found

You might want to install the kwifimanager package, which may help you configure the device easily if you dont have it installed already.

Comment

Do you have mac filtering enabled on your router by chance? If so, have you entered the IP of the device you are trying to connect?

Comment

Grr.

I've put in kwifi manager. I tell it to scan for networks, and it immediately informs me that no networks were found. It reports "out of range", strength 0 on the signal--but my daughter reports a strength of about 30 down the hall.

I'm wondering if this truly horrid machine has lost its connection to its antenna? BUt if so,k how would it keep finding that more distant network. I don't know where the antenna is--i do know that there are loose connections to the upper housing housing from the horizontal lines. This machine generally uses an external screen and monitor or my daughter, as Acer refuses to honor the warranty).

I don't have the mac filtering on on the router.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot? Or should I just find a cheap usb wireless adapter?

hawk
        Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

The antenna is a long wire that is on either side of the screen. There may be one or two. Are you translating your posts to english? I don't quite understand the 'daughter' part.

Comment

Type the following command into a konsole window and post the output: iwconfig

Comment

Working...
            X