This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No knetworkmanager option for wpa-psk

I'm trying to get my wireless network connection working, but knetworkmanager gives me no options other than wep. I've looked at other posts on the subject but have not found any way of activating the option I need. Someone suggested "Connect to other networks" but that doesn't show up on any menu I've looked at.

Has anyone else succeeded in making a wpa-psk connection under Gibbon?

And yes, I do have the wpasupplicant package installed.

Re: No knetworkmanager option for wpa-psk

KNetworkmanager only supports wep. If you need wpa, try using KWiFiManager instead.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

kwifimanager doesn't help

When I call up kwifimanager it shows that the network can be found (it gives the SSID correctly) with a quality of 81, but a signal strength of 0. And nowhere is there a place to specify the protocol, e.g., wpa-psk vs. wep.

Comment

Use WICD instead of knetwork manager... google it.. you'll be glad you did!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          I'm trying to get my wireless network connection working, but knetworkmanager gives me no options other than wep. I've looked at other posts on the subject but have not found any way of activating the option I need. Someone suggested "Connect to other networks" but that doesn't show up on any menu I've looked at.

Has anyone else succeeded in making a wpa-psk connection under Gibbon?

And yes, I do have the wpasupplicant package installed.
          /etc/network/intefaces:

auto wlan0
          iface wlan0 inet static
          address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
          pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
          pre-up ifconfig wlan0 up
          pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid "sjsjdjdjdjdjdjdjd"
          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK=sjsjsjsjjsjsjs
          pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=TKIP

Comment

This How to Solve KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems may help you.

Comment

Originally posted by audionut
              Use WICD instead of knetwork manager... google it.. you'll be glad you did!!!
              Except that WICD is made for Gnome-based distros. Any other solutions? Nope? 'Thought so...

Comment

gnome apps work in kde.

just dl'd wcid and it works.
                I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

I'm writing you this from a WPA-PSK straight vanilla Feisty 7.04 wifi network on a laptop.

All I did to connect was:

1.) Click on the square white icon with the red center in the lower right corner of the screen.

A fly out menu shows a bargraph of signal strength for my router (named "NewNetwork)

2.) I click on this bargraph line.

3.) A dialog opens up which allows entry of a WPA-PSK passphrase

I enter it and am connected.

In addition the Kwallet requests a password to store the wpa passphrase with so that in the future it can connect automatically.

If you try to connect in any other way (without clicking on that bargraph newtwork name line) You will NOT be able to enter a WPA password anywhere. Period. Plus, if you go into manual configuration, you will likely lose the ability to even enter it the way I outlined above.

If you have inadvertently messed up your system by manual configuration, you can test this all out by booting from a LiveCD and trying the procedure I mentioned above.

If that works and you want to restore your system to its original state, see my instructions referenced by Snowhog above.

But for sure you can connect through KnetworkManager via WPA-PSK. Or what you are reading here is just a figment of your imagination.

Comment

gilf -

Given the MANY disparaging comments being posted within the Forum, I want to personally thank you for your (original) HOWTO and your current testimony to how to make wifi 'work.'

Comment

The only real way to do it is what pongo posted. The other ways are only working for the people who tried it and got it to work. I cannot post from Kubuntu since I cannot access the internet anymore. I quit trying all the GUI ways and clicking this/clicking that. I will try pongo's way and if I have to, I'll re-install and try configuring by editing /etc/network/interfaces.

All the distro network managers (KDE/Gnome, doesn't matter) all suck no matter which one you use. That's the impression I have.

Comment

wpa works on my hardy laptop with knetworkmanager without issues (I have a Buffalo wireless cardbus card). No manual configuration in /etc/network/interfaces needed on my set up (knetworkmanager actually stopped working after I did some manual configuration, and I had to clean up the configurations to get knetworkmanager working again)

You aren't the only one experiencing problems with wireless though, so there are definitely issues with knetworkmanager, just wanted to give you some hope that knetworkmanager does support wpa (at least on Hardy)...unfortunately I did not use knetworkmanager in Gutsy, so I can't tell how it behaves on that.

Comment

Working...
                        X