X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network gone (solved, kind of)

Man,

In my brand new installation I inserted an USB WLAN stick (zydas brand). It worked fine with one exception that I needed to open kwallet for the wpa password and I wanted to have the wlan up and running without anything like that. So I fumbled around with manual installation and all I got is a completely gone wlan network.

Can anybody help me how to get back to the original (automatic detection) mode

I'm really desperate!

Ciao

Re: Network gone

Hi tuxuser,
    I have a device that has the same chipset (zd1211b? right?). At least, I think it might be the same. Mine has the zd1211b and uses zd1211rw drivers.

I would like to give you the solution but I did have major problems when you do anything to the initial settings. I found in Gutsy (a LiveCD) that I could connect rather easily as long as I allowed my ip to be seen and encryption was acceptable (no problems encrypting). I recommend experimenting with a Live CD and see what settings are allowed without problem. It does connect but as far as the GUI apps go, I found it to be "picky." I have only tried an install in Feisty, though, but I want to try 7.10 soon and see what happens.

I found when changing settings too much, I lost the connection and ALSO, the option to set WPA. I don't know why. I haven't got the bottom of that yet. I wish I had better advice but try a live cd of Gutsy and see what settings you can have that allows a WPA connection? I'm going to find out if I can set a static IP (for wireless) and have WPA. Hopefully, I can have a wireless connection with that. That's what I will try. Good luck.

Comment

Re: Network gone

Thanks so far, but isn't there any possibility to reset all the network connections to default?

Found it! I just had to delete the interface in
      /etc/network/interfaces
      after that Knetworkmanager automatically detcted the USB WLAN inteface. Now it's time for re-config. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Comment

Working...
      X