This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem, blank screen

Trying to install kubuntu gutsy off live cd (64bit version), but I get a blank screen and no activity after loading kernel.

I have Nvidia 8400MG GT graphics card.

Same problem if I try the safe graphics mode

Re: problem, blank screen

Sounds like you may have already considered:

dibl: Topic: How to get started with no GUI
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg: bigpond
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p7.html

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Isn't' that genius.

2. At the text prompt, just enter your user name, hit Enter, and then enter the password that you gave yourself when you went through the installation routine.
      Amazing, and what is that supposed to be when I haven't been able to install this yet?

Comment

Ah! Sorry about that -- misread your post.
        I'm not sure I'd have anything else to say here ... standard stuff ... check the CD (for defects? for md5sum) ... run the live CD for an hour session or so (to see how it likes your hardware) ... that sort of thing. Let's wait for someone with specific experience with your rig to chime in with something halfway helpful.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Who cares if you installed it?
          [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [F1]
          type ubuntu for login and press enter for the password (If I remember this correctly)
          then type
          Code:
          sudo killall kdm
          I like killing stuff
          now reconfigure the X server with
          Code:
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
          try different drivers.
          Also you might want to install this first
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
          After we configured everything we start KDM again
          Code:
          sudo kdm
          repeat the procedure if you want

I might have made a few grammar mistakes in the command, can't check it for now
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Good points, Gediminas2
            He could be messing with our friend
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
            notwithstanding.
            I sorta assumed he'd run the live CD and all was well there, though ...
            ?

Comment

Guys, seriously. Get a grip here. What part of I cannot get past loading kernel stage on boot process did you not comprehend? I cannot ctrl+alt+f11, I cannot sudo this or that. And yes, I tried anyway!

Unbelievable, seriously.

Comment

Code:
                Guys, seriously. Get a grip here. What part of I cannot get past loading kernel stage on boot process did you not comprehend? I cannot ctrl+alt+f11, I cannot sudo this or that. And yes, I tried anyway!

Unbelievable, seriously.
                Asking for help and then this, Unbelievable, seriously!

Get some manners and you might get some help.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Chadi@

When you have booted from the LiveCD and you are at the menu, press the function key to edit the boot line. Select the kernel entry and remove both, quiet and splash and then press b to boot (read the prompts on the screen after selecting to edit). Removing these two kernel options will allow you to see what's happening during boot. Often, if the process doesn't finish, the last displayed messages will offer you a clue as to the underlying problem.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X