This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Settings Problem

I'm using kd4. When i go to System settings->advanced->login manager all selections are solid graeyed! Ican't change the splash screen or the login message (for example welcome my_username instead of welcome to Linux at miata). Is there a bug with system settings in kde4? i tried frm kcontrol but these settings refer to kde3.5 and thus they are not applied to kde4? any ideas?

Re: System Settings Problem

KDE 4.0 is not meant to be a production release, rather it's more of an RC - i.e. it works but there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out / features to be implemented. What you're experiencing is the lack of an "Administrator Mode..." button in System Settings; to perform administrative tasks from System Settings, you'll need to start it as root:
    Code:
    kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings
    If you need a stable environment until KDE 4.1 is released in July, I would suggest installing Kubuntu's KDE 3.5.9 desktop:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
    Then, click the "Session Type" menu from the login screen and select KDE 3.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi,
      Relative Linux noob, but learning.

Thanks for this explanation. I also installed Kubuntu AMD64 v8.4 and had the same problem as dimmutal. With your help example, I'm sure I can fix it. I knew KDE4 was not quite ready yet, but wasn't aware it was so broken. There are a few other things I really need to have work before I try to use this. If I can't get those to work, I'll drop back to Ubuntu 7.10. The Kubuntu 8.04 is on another hard drive which I can switch to for testing.

1. I ran across instructions on the forum that allowed me to install packages, but many I download don't show up in the menu to select them. Is there a fix for that?

2. There is no resident menu editor that I can find. I did download and install a couple, but they did not show up in the menu to use.

3. I couldn't connect to my home LAN. I'm assuming something like SAMBA is required. Would I have reasonable chance for LAN connection if I installed SAMBA?

4. The main menu needs to work a little differently. When the mouse pointer hovers over a main selection the child selections should fly out for examination and/or selection. Now you have to click on the main choice, see there is nothing you want, and click on a little narrow column on the left side to return back. Quite annoying and time consuming. Is there a configuration fix for that anywhere.

5. I did finally download and install the various packages to get Compiz working. That was a success since I want more than the 2 default desktops.

My system is newly put together to experiment with various Linux offerings. The goal being to get a nicely workable Linux computer with which to wean away from Windows although I'll probably need a VM with XP available for awhile. It has an AMD Athlon 4400, 4gb ram, MSI K9A2MB, and WD 120 GB SATA drives, IDE CD/DVD burner.

Comment

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X