X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing kubuntu

hi!
    first i tryed amd64 version but i did't start at all...just after selecting live-cd/install option from start menu it turns my display to powersaving mode.

then i tryed i386 version and this was the result:
    running kubuntu live-cd it won't start kde...
    all i get is commandline and when i try startkde it says something about unable to open display.

now im downloading ubuntu (gnome) but i don't feel like very optimistic

i got amd64 6000+ processor, nvidia 8800 GT and LG 20" display.

Re: installing kubuntu

I think your NVIDIA 8800GT might be at the root of all this, it certainly has been discussed (and solved!). Search the forum for 8800GT and you might get something.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: installing kubuntu

My motherboard has built in NVIDIA GeForce 7-series graphics, and I have the same problem. I had to run the live Cd in "safe graphics mode" (the second option on the menu when the live CD first starts). Interestingly, Kubuntu then loaded fine and even went automatically to my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) although it will only function when graphics are set to "vesa", which disables any 3D desktop effects and the like. When I go into the system settings, it detects my NVIDIA graphics, but if I tell Kubuntu to use that it breaks and I'm back at command prompt only. Another forum member recommended that I check out a program called Envy, so I'm going to explore that later today. Maybe it might work for you too?

Comment

Working...
      X