This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy Froze

Yesterday I upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy. The upgrade froze while installing packages. After about 1 hour of no activity, I killed the process and then ran "dpkg --configure -a". This finished the install process but didn't run the usual "Cleanup" process. After some fiddling I was able to boot to a command prompt and then launch startx to get into my desktop. A bit more fiddling and I am now able to boot into my desktop. The problem is, some apps seem to be unconfigured, Java for example and Dolphin. Both have been configured properly on another system I upgraded (without problem), but on this system things seem to be unconfigured. Is there a way to re-run the upgrade so that the cleanup is performed? Or is there a manual process for this?

Thanks,
    Rick Knight

Re: Upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy Froze

G'day, Rick,

Try these commands in order:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install

Hope this helps.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy Froze

Lowey,

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and things seem to be fine. Thanks.

I have another problem with the Feisty/Gutsy upgrade on a different PC. I performed the upgrade on my desktop PC. The upgrade hung at 2%. After a couple of hours I killed the process and restarted it at a terminal. This time it completed successfully. I tried to reboot my PC but now all I get is a BusyBox shell and a message that the hard drives don't exist. I get this message...

Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules,devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev

ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

Then I get the Busy Box banner and prompt

(initramfs)

I've tried editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and changing the drive from id to path but I get the same message, just a different spec for the same drive. My system is intact and it is upgraded, but for some reason the hard drives are not being found or started. I can still boot my previous Feisty kernel but now when it gets to my desktop, X restarts. I can boot as root into my Feisty kernel and the run startx to get to a desktop so I can try to repair the problem. ANy idea what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks again,
      Rick

Comment

Working...
      X