This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to 7.10 does not work due to fague graphics card error

After having successfully upgraded to 7.10 with my old geforce4400 card. I exchanged it for a newer ATI AIW 9600 pro my 7.10 install didn't work and I could not repair it. (with my limited skills)

So I re installed 7.4 with my ATI AIW 9600 pro and that worked OK.. After that I did all the software updates and the full upgrade to 7.10.
    After rebooting I have the thing hanging in the character part of boot.. with a notification about something missing. >
    I repeated this process of install and upgrade several times and the same problem all the time.
    The I downloaded the 7.10 install disk.. After the graphical install part i reboot and get the same hang in the character based part of the booting process.

How come there is suddenly a problem with the graphics card in 7.10 while it works fine in 7.4??

Any suggestions about what to do? Wait until version 8?

Re: upgrade to 7.10 does not work due to fague graphics card error

http://albertomilone.com/pmwiki/pmwi...tionsForUbuntu

Install envy. It will install the necessary drivers for you. Follow the directions on the link for how to use it.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for your help but when do I do that? If I understand it correctly, the upgrade replaces the working setup with new drivers that do not work. And I cannot come into 7.10 because after the install it hangs on the reboot.
      So are you suggesting to do the update and then install the drivers before I do the mandatory reboot?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Comment

When you reboot after upgrading, boot into the "recovery mode". You can then run envy from the command line to configure your video card. There are specific directions on Alberto's site, something along the lines of 'sudo envy -t'.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

i believe I had a similar problem. Just upgraded to gutsy yesterday. xserver would not start because of "screen missing". During the upgrade process I was told (by the upgrader) that after reboot I had to restart the xserver manually. So I did from command line (obviously) sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart. That didn't really work so then I did sudo apt-cache search nvidia and then installed the nvidia-glx driver, restarted the xserver and nothing. Last ditch effort, I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg and bang!, I had an xsession . Wierd but it worked
          I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
          X