Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blank screen when installing Live CD - using ASUS laptop, nvidia 8600m GT

Yeah, that means your Nvidia driver is not installed correctly.

And you used Envy to install it?

hmmmmmmmm .... mumble, mumble .....

If you do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to the CLI, then do these:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    and then

Code:
    sudo envy -t
    Does the text-mode Envy installer appear to work correctly, or does it put out errors?

Comment

hi,

well, initially I didn't use the envy installer. I used these online instructions to install the same exact driver. I then installed the envy in the GUI mode (the vesa 800x600) and then I cleaned the installation of any invidia driver and re-installed the latest one using the text mode.

so, after I stopped KDE, the screen was blank. I hit ctr+alt+F1 again and got my home prompt. then I typed: sudo envy -t and the text menu works properly.

Comment

Originally posted by metro2003
        hi,

well, initially I didn't use the envy installer. I used these online instructions to install the same exact driver. I then installed the envy in the GUI mode (the vesa 800x600) and then I cleaned the installation of any invidia driver and re-installed the latest one using the text mode.

so, after I stopped KDE, the screen was blank. I hit ctr+alt+F1 again and got my home prompt. then I typed: sudo envy -t and the text menu works properly.

OK, if you didn't see any errors, I'd next (still in CLI) issue this command:
        Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
        that will write a new xorg.conf file with glx and compositing enabled. Once you've done that, do
        Code:
        sudo shutdown now -r
        to restart the system, and let's see what happens.

Comment

hi Dibl,

I tried the commands and still no results. I get the same error at the text login prompt:

======================

Loading, please wait...
          usplash: setting mode 1920x1440 failed
          usplash: Using mode 1600x1200
          kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/158570aa-f8ea-410a-b454-1fda2766cb04) = sda6(8,6)
          kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/158570aa-f8ea-410a-b454-1fda2766cb04
          kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 7.10 SERVER tty1

======================

Comment

And then, black screen?

Can you post the Kubuntu boot section of your menu file -- the same part that I posted above?

Comment

yes, I get the black screen

ok, here's the boot file:

finally figured out how not to type all those error messages and line using ssh

Code:
              ## ## End Default Options ##

title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
              root      (hd0,4)
              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=31301cd8-fd9c-437c-8223-700977478184 ro quiet splash
              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
              kopt=xdrvr=fbdev
              quiet

title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
              root      (hd0,4)
              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=31301cd8-fd9c-437c-8223-700977478184 ro single
              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

title      Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
              root      (hd0,4)
              kernel     /boot/memtest86+.bin
              quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
              # ones.
              title      Other operating systems:
              root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
              # on /dev/sda2
              title      Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
              root      (hd0,1)
              savedefault
              makeactive
              chainloader   +1

Comment

just wondering if anyone's still looking at this

Comment

Yeah .... looking and scratching my head. :P

Did you do a search on that model of Asus on Ubuntu Forum? They might have discovered something helpful.

Comment

hi..well, yes, indeed they have it working...with the same exact card...and the funny thing is that they all use Ubuntu 7.10. apparently in all instances it auto detected the video card and were able to install the actual driver using envy.

I really don't see how that's different from Kubuntu with the exception of the environment...but I'm willing to lose a dvd to find out if that's really true. I'm dL it right now and I'll post once I try installing it.

the second solution I read about is using the standard "vesa" driver...but that's not really taking advantage of the video card installed...

anyway..I'll let you know how it turns out..

-s

Comment

the second solution I read about is using the standard "vesa" driver...but that's not really taking advantage of the video card installed...
                      True. But, I have often started out by configuring a VESA display first, and then installed Firefox and gone to the Alberto Milone site to download Envy, and then use that to install the Nvidia driver. In other words, you need some kind of GUI before you get the really good GUI.

Comment

WOOHOO !! looks like I made SOME progress !!

well, here is how it all went down. I tried Ubuntu and obviously the same deal. So, I then decided to try Kubuntu again and reinstall from scratch. (I have a strong preference for Kubuntu ). However, I managed to get it working and at least boot with a visual GUI screen, but I still can't install my nvidia driver. Here are the steps:

1- Boot into SAFE mode. (I'll eventually get the text screen as expected)
                        2- run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and select the "vesa" driver (1280x800 resolution with 24bit color), etc, etc.
                        3- install the OS and reboot.
                        4- apply all the patches and other extras.
                        5- I then installed the "envy" app and tried to install the nvidia driver.
                        6- still no luck, I get the same error messages as before. however, at least I can just edit the /etc/X11/xorg-conf file and replace the nvidia driver with vesa and get my GUI screen back. At least I can be productive this way.

so, all in all, I got it working on the vesa driver but nvidia still doesn't work ! I guess i'll have to do for now until I figure out another way.

Any other suggestions? I really want to get the driver working.

by the way, this thing look really good on my laptop now

thanks for all your help so far guys !!!! you guys rock !

-m

Comment

Relooked through this thread, and don't see where you indicated if you disabled/removed the cdrom repository and activated the others. Did/have you done so?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

5- I then installed the "envy" app and tried to install the nvidia driver.
                            6- still no luck, I get the same error messages as before.
                            You get errors when running Envy?

Open your Konsole, type
                            Code:
                            sudo envy -t
                            and then post any errors that come out, please. If you don't get any errors, then exit Konsole, do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in to the GUI -- you should see the Nvidia splash screen before you see the login GUI.

Comment

snowhog,

sorry, I'm not familiar with what you're saying. You mean I have to disable the CDROM? in the bios? or anything like that?

Dibl,

no error messages whatsoever when installing the driver. When I reboot, I get this:

Code:
                              kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/158570aa-f8ea-410a-b454-1fda2766cb04) = sda6(8,6)
                              kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/158570aa-f8ea-410a-b454-1fda2766cb04
                              kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
                              and CTRL ALT Backspace doesn't work for me.

and if I reboot with the nvidia driver, I get the text screen. I then log in and 'startx' and get this:

Code:
                              (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
                              (EE) NVIDIA: *** Aborting ***
                              (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

furthermore, I noticed there's a log file for nvidia and this is what's in it:

Code:
                              (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
                              (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                              (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
                              (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                              (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
                              (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
                              (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
                              (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                              (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
                              (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
                              (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
                              (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
                              (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
                              (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
                              (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
                              no screens found

I don't know what else to try. I reverted back to vesa and it's fine, but I would like to use the graphics card's ability..

thank you!

-m

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) Blank screen when installing Live CD - ASUS laptop, nvidia 8600m GT

I GOT IT !!!
                                I GOT IT !!!
                                I GOT IT !!!
                                I GOT IT !!!

you won't believe it !!! it was the BIOS !!!!

I upgraded the BIOS from the manufacturer and reinstalled envy !!! it worked like a charm !!! I found this link on the ubuntu site:

credit goes to these guys:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+driver&page=3

currently, I'm using the BIOS version 300 form Asus for the G2S notebooks.

Thanks so much guys !! you guys gave me enough to eventually find the problem and now there is a solution.

now, back to work )

-m

Comment

Working...
                                X