This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Disks & Filesystems

Under K -> System Settings -> Advanced i open the Disk & Filesystems and i get a message like this
    [img width=400 height=325]http://www.imageshack.gr/files/n8v5ubj9he7jn1jlcdfk.gif[/img]
    Any idea what went wrong?

Re: Problem with Disks & Filesystems

Close out all windows
    Open Konsole
    Try running this command at Konsole:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

(Then, I don't know if re-booting is necessary; or restart X using Control+Alt+Backspace => never hurts!)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It didn't work . It seems that this happened after an version upgrade from the adept manager...

Comment

Maybe these may help:

(I have used the first one here before with good results - run as root)

fix-install Perform apt-get -f install (to fix broken dependencies)
        fix-missing Perform apt-get --fix-missing upgrade

or this link with more ideas: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/debianproblem.htm

Comment

"It seems that this happened after an version upgrade from the adept manager..."

Yep, I think so, too. Same thing happened to me some time ago; never did fix it; had to re-install. BUT wait for these guys to chime in and suggest tricks to try, starting with MoonRise's idea he gave you I'll also be interested in this.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Too late... I reinstalled it already. Nevermind, always grateful for your answers.

Comment

Unfortunate. I remember this particular problem. A simple search here in the Forum on The module Disks & Filesystems could not be loaded located several posts, but this one about Re: A system settings module is orphaned contains the answer to the problem: your language pack wasn't loaded for use in the KDE Desktop. Open K Menu | System Settings | Regional & Language and select your language.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunatly , another one bites the dust, by being too hasty in solving it
                Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Re: Problem with Disks &amp; Filesystems

The language pack didn't work for my case, and no one posted any other ideas at the time. Sometimes it's simply a crap-shoot, notwithstanding ex poste happiness prescriptions...

Comment

One might also try reinstalling the package kubuntu-desktop. Adept Manager will almost certainly show it as installed, so to reinstall, you will need to do it from the command line:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Comment

interesting, wasn't too long ago that I went through that one, too; that's another story...
                      I dd-image root to my separate /home, so restores are just 8-12 minutes away; complete re-install just 25-30;

Comment

I followed your How To for the dd Command and made a backup image of my root file system (Gutsy) and saved it to a folder in my user's /home directory. Pretty neat.

Comment

. . . and, of course, you did test it, right?

Comment

What, and destroy my working root file system?!! ( )

No, I didn't test it. I figure it this way. It either will work as you have stated, or it won't. If it works (I'm taking the position that it does/will) then if/when I need to restore my root file system, good. If it doesn't/won't, then why tempt fate and destroy what is working now? Sort of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" position. Yeah, go ahead, you can say it: No guts, no glory!!

Comment

Well, I tested it, several times, different instances of Kubuntu and /homes.
                              That's the fun and the work of writing how-to's:
                              (1) yet get to play and test,
                              AND
                              (2) you've GOT to test => work and no play

Comment

Working...
                              X