X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot Kubuntu and Vista

Hi,

I know the principle of install Kubuntu after Vista and getting Grub to install and be the boot loader, but my question is do I need to do anything else as I remember seeing various things around the web when Vista was first released about Vista failing to start after installing Grub (and I need vista for games)

My Setup is a Dell XPS 420 Desktop Pc and I am going to add a second HD which will be for Kubuntu, so I wont have any concerns about resizing the Windows partition.

Thanks,

Gavin,
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Re: Dual boot Kubuntu and Vista

You shouldn't have any problems.
    You can use GRUB to boot Vista if you wish.
    Or, put Kubuntu & GRUB on a separate drive and boot into it each time by manually entering BIOS setup.

If you install Kubuntu, you must tell the installer where to put GRUB!
    If it puts GRUB in the standard place, that will be the MBR of the Vista drive. That is OK if that's what you want (and then GRUB will be booting both Vista and Kubuntu, but Vista's bootloader will be overwritten, but then I'm pretty sure you can re-install Vista's bootloader & etc.)

Read very carefully these:

See Reply #11 in this:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Then see:
    The Definitive Dual-Booting Guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step: http://apcmag.com/node/5162/
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X