X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu cd not recognized in Vista

Hey guys,

I have a problem. I want to install Kubuntu on my HP zd8180ea, and then remove vista... But that is not the issue right now. The problem is that Vista does not read the live-cd that I burned! I tried it my friends computer which also has vista and there it loads nicely.... Can somebody please help me!!?? I really want to get rid of Vista, or at least use a better OS!

Re: Kubuntu cd not recognized in Vista

apt-get remove --purge vista

no, seriously, you have to tell your bios that the system should boot from the CD
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Believe me, I have tried most of the "commonly" suggested solutions and none seems to work!

The weird thing is that vista does not seem to be able to read, before booting vista and when vista is running any cds that can be booted from, not kubuntu, not ubuntu, not XP, not even Gparted....

Comment

It looks like you don't understand the concept of "booting from CD".

You keep talking about 'Vista' not reading the disk, Vista is not supposed to read such a disk!
        When booting from a CD it is totally irrelevant what operating system is installed on the computer.
        The bootable CD should be inserted before you switch on the computer and then the computer uses whatever is available on the CD to boot up, Vista is never even touched, let alone started up.
        It's the same for the GParted boot CD, it has it's own Linux operating system and nothing to do with Vista.

You have to tell the BIOS that the computer should first check the CD drive for a bootable disk and only when such is not present continue to boot from for example the hard drive (with Vista)

Comment

These may be of help if you want to get into your Bios at start up:
          http://www.computing.net/faq/content9x/bios.html

http://www.inventio.co.uk/getbios.htm
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I know about the concept about booting from a cd, however, normally when a linux cd is inserted into the computer while windows is running a window pops up that lets you look at/read about some of the features. Am I not right about that? Also, in the case of the XP cd. The cd should be visible in explorer, which it is not!

The boot order in my bios is that it should boot from the cd first, the floppy and then hard drive.... This was set by me a long time ago....

Comment

Sorry hliss, but you appear to have the wrong end of the stick there. I assume you are talking about a live CD - your kubuntu CD is a live CD and ALL live CDs have to be booted. Don't know who told you about simply putting it into a running operating system... Better forget about that and don't tell anybody about it

As for vista not recognising the CD - you're better off in a windows forum for that one as it should realise that you inserted one.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I have posted the same question in a Visat forum, but unfortunately the answers given there does not help me at all.

Comment

toad is right. The "data" on the Kubuntu Live CD is a single ISO image of about 700MB. How are you going to view an ISO image? Maybe Windows has an application that will let you look at an ISO image - I dunno, but it's not the normal type of data that an OS expects to have to put on screen for you.

EDIT: Maybe something like this

Comment

I think he means when u pop it into the drive it will pop up with stuff like Firefox and Thunderbird and to open a iso image i recommend poweriso or magiciso
                    I will not take any responsability if you PC explodes in my helping process

Comment

I have posted the same question in a Visat forum, but unfortunately the answers given there does not help me at all.
                      The question remains: Can you BOOT the live cd?
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

KK.

if you cant boot into the live cd or you cant see it in vista you optical drive might be damaged try another cd in it like another ISO

Comment

I can't believe how silly this thread is

Anyway, I like Fintan's links (thank you) and it is time that you boot the effing CD

We'll take it from there...

Comment

Thanks Bondi, it is the firefox thing mean.... That is the thing that should be shown!

And still, no! I cannot boot the cd....

Comment

double check your BIOS and I downloaded a open suse CD and that was corrupted even if it said it downloaded so try downlaoding it again, also it isnt vista thats the problem and check ur cd drive

Comment

Working...
                              X