This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

won't boot after update

I just installed kgpg and the latest update package (a language package) about 1 hour ago. Just after that I found that kopete would not load so I tried a reboot. All is normal till the enter password screen but after entering the password the boot sequence proceeds to the initializing screen then goes black and the password screen reappears. This cycle just keeps repeating. If I try to use recovery mode it stops when it encounters an error loading the firewall which I have had for some time - there is an error in a config file I guess but it has not been a problem since the firewall does in fact load later in the boot sequence. It is a problem now though since I can't get past it in recovery mode to try and find why x won't load. I can however boot into command line mode but any attempt to run startx takes me right back to the password screen. Can anyone suggest how to correct this problem? Thanks for any assistance.

Re: won't boot after update

There have been so many of you who this is happening to I'd suggest you go to launchpad and look for the bug describing your experience (since you are not the only one somebody must have filed it before). AFAIK we (this forum) have not come up with "the solution" - but then again I may well be wrong.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

oops, just found this http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...091772.new#new which is probably it.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yikes! Ditto for me. Also happened about 10 days ago, after which I repartitioned my disk (so the OS has its own partition and reloads are less destructive), and reloaded system. Getting back to work took many hours. Sigh.

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Will follow suggested link, hoping for the best.

Comment

If that doesn't work, try this approach:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091761.0

Let us know which works -- many are having the same problem.

Comment

Toad, it sounds to me like you have pinpointed my problem. The failure occurred immediately after installing the upgrade package "language-pack-kde-en" I'll try removing it. Thanks to all who responded and I hope this has been brought to the attention of the appropriate folks to have this update package corrected.

Comment

Well I removed "language-pack-kde-en" and all is well. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I didn't do nothing, am not even experiencing the problem (thank God - this is not production system material), just looked around the forum

BTW, all of those who DID suffer this setback please go here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...en/+bug/195647 to tell the developers about it. They need the info to understand the problem!

Glad all is well, though.

Comment

I experienced these problems, and solved it (temporarily) by removing the language-pack-kde-en. However the bug report you linked to refers to the EN_CA locale. I don't use that, yet I had same trouble/same solution (except for one KDECORE warning mesage that I never saw).

In my comment to the bug report I noted that this bug is probably not restricted to the canadian locale. Can other users who also experience this please report their locale?

Comment

Working...
                  X