This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get KDE 4 from start?

How? Ive just downloaded Kubuntu AMD64 DVD.. do i only do a server install and then install KDE 4 core? should i do teh default and install KDE 3 and then update ?
    The code is out there..

Re: Get KDE 4 from start?

If you do a straight installation, you'll have KDE 3.5.x (8 I'm pretty sure). Once fully installed, and you've had Adept update all the installed packages (that will take a while), then you can opt to install kde4-core per the instructions here. This gives you the option when logging in, to select what session (KDE 3 or KDE 4) you want to run.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok.. i must have done a bad search

thank you ..
      The code is out there..

Comment

I believe that all the LiveCDs you can burn contain KDE3. So, you will end up with KDE 3.5.8 (or maybe 3.5.9 - don't think so though) as your desktop. But as I said, installing kde4-core allows you to keep 3.5.x and gives you the option to run the 4.0 desktop instead. That's what I'm doing. KDE 3.5.x is stable. KDE 4.x is still being developed. It's pretty far along, but it isn't 'main stream' yet, and so, isn't being packaged with the regular LiveCD distro's of *ubuntu.

Comment

ok.. so you recommend keeping KDE 3.5?
          The code is out there..

Comment

If it were me, yes. Once you've installed your system (with KDE 3.5.x) you can follow the instructions for downloading kde4-core, which will give you the choice of which desktop environment you want to use. Keep in mind, kde4-core doesn't load all the packages contained in the full KDE 4.0 (or 4.01) suite. So, ultimately, it's your choice as to what you want to do. That's the freedom and power of running Linux.

Comment

ok .. i think ill follow your advice.. thanks

goin to migrate faster than planned from "the other os"...
              The code is out there..

Comment

Working...
              X