Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinXP, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS Grub Problem...No More Kubuntu (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WinXP, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS Grub Problem...No More Kubuntu (Solved)

Okay...I've done this before. I've screwed my grub menu up in the past and , with the help of this forum, was able to repair it. So, feeling Gutsy (no pun intended), I decided to install PCLinuxOS on a second, unused hard drive in my desktop.

All went well, PCLOS works fine and I can still boot to WinXP. But, booting to Kubuntu gives me a kernel error. I have a feeling it has something to do with an entry in my grub menu as taken from PCLOS and shown below. I believe my grub menu is telling Kubuntu to use an older kernel. How do I resolve this?

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10
    Latest Kernel
    WinXP and Kubuntu installed on main hard drive (dev0)
    PCLOS installed on second hard drive.

All help is appreciated.

timeout 10
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    default 0

title linux
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 acpi=on resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb1 acpi=on resume=/dev/hdb5

title failsafe
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb1 failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/hdb5

title windows
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

title Kubuntu
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8.tex5 BOOT_IMAGE=Kubuntu root=/dev/hda2
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: WinXP, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS Grub Problem...No More Kubuntu

Assuming no other modifications done by PCLOS, I'd edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and replace the last stanza. This is my Gutsy main boot stanza:

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=3cb6e1de-7583-47a4-b487-58f1502c63a2 ro acpi=off
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    quiet
    Of course, you will need to change the (hdx,y) to reflect your HD/partition location, and you'll need to replace the UUID= line with the UUID for the partition that you have Gutsy installed on. You can open a console and type blkid to find this out. And you will want to remove the acpi=off (I have to have it to get working sound on my laptop).

You can always too, open the backup menu.lst~ file and copy the appropriate stanza and use it to replace the one you have in the current file.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Remember this rule -- "Last Linux Wins".

Unless you re-direct the location where Grub gets installed, the last Linux you install will overwrite the MBR of the first hard drive (hd0) with its own version of a boot menu, which may or may not correctly recognize the other OS and its kernel location. To deal with this, I choose one OS to be the "menu master" and then whenever I install a different one, I force it to install the Grub menu on its own root partition, not on the MBR of the hard drive. Then I can edit the "Master" menu with the applicable boot information for the newly added OS, and boot it, without disrupting the parts of the menu that are working.

So, what has happened is, you (perhaps inadvertently) let PC Linux overwrite the MBR with a new boot instruction, and Kubuntu took the hit. Maybe PC Linux decided the "second" hard drive will now be (hd0), I dunno. The boot menu that you have posted shows Windows on (hd0) and Kubuntu on (hd1), but you said they're both on the same drive, so there's something amiss.

Also, that's an interesting Kubuntu kernel -- is that one that you compiled, because it is not a standard one from the repo?

What is the exact error that you are seeing? With that unusual kernel name, the problem may not be the boot menu at all ... :P

EDIT -- mehhhh -- overtaken by the fast fingers of the "Hasty Hog"

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        EDIT -- mehhhh -- overtaken by the fast fingers of the "Hasty Hog"
        I always thought that a Forum Dibl was one of the fastest creatures in this Forum. Hmm.

Comment

And if Kubuntu is on the same hard drive as XP, then, for Kubuntu, it is also hd0:
          If Kubuntu is on the second partition of the first hard drive (set to boot in BIOS), then it would be:

title Kubuntu
          root (hd0,1)
          kernel /boot/etc-etc
          initrd /boot/etc-etc

(third partition would be (hd0,2), etc.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, menu.lst is run by PCLinuxOS--looks different; but the kubuntu boot stanza entry can be copied from his "regular" Kubuntu menu.lst, and GRUB should read it right (we hope).
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

So where is the "regular" Kubuntu menu.lst? I mean, if PCLOS has over written it then it should be gone, history, vanished, etc...right?

Indeed, PCLOS gave me the option to modify the grub menu upon installation but I believe it was referring to its own grub and not the existing one because I saw no entry for Ubuntu/Kubuntu in the grub files the PCLOS showed me.

So, do I have two different grub files in different locations?

Originally posted by Qqmike
              Yeah, menu.lst is run by PCLinuxOS--looks different; but the kubuntu boot stanza entry can be copied from his "regular" Kubuntu menu.lst, and GRUB should read it right (we hope).
              Nope...I did not compile this kernel. It was installed with PCLOS and, in my opinion, seems to be an older version. Not sure why they used it but it was installed from the LIVE CD.
              sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Start up PCLOS. Open a console (or what ever PCLOS calls it) and perform a search for menu.lst from the root directory. Not being familiar with PCLOS, I don't know what command you would use. But, you can start by trying:
                Code:
                find -name menu.lst
                In *ubuntu, the find command requires root privileges to run. A quick Google search on PCLOS menu.lst finds a Ubuntu Forums entry that indicates that the file is located in the /boot/grub directory, the same as in *ubuntu.

Comment

Fact is, you could choose to have either PCLinusOS or Kubuntu be in charge of your menu.lst (and the booting). See the start of the following how-to for the why’s (and what-to-do’s); and that will also explain what dibl says:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
                  (also, Reply #1: HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips)

Try this:
                  Get into you PCLinuxOS, navigate to /boot/grub/menu.lst (or whatever the boot menu there is called), and for the Kubuntu boot entry, try simply this:

title Kubuntu booted by configfile
                  configfile (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.st

(edit as root, then save and exit -- Assumes Kubuntu is on (hd0,1))

See if that works to boot Kubuntu (using TWO boot choices—you can reduce the timeout on the second boot choice to 3-4 seconds if your wish; but first see if this works). If so, it will simply this for you and will simplify dealing with kernel updates for Kubuntu, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Assuming no other modifications done by PCLOS, I'd edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and replace the last stanza. This is my Gutsy main boot stanza:

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
                    root (hd0,1)
                    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=3cb6e1de-7583-47a4-b487-58f1502c63a2 ro acpi=off
                    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
                    quiet
                    Of course, you will need to change the (hdx,y) to reflect your HD/partition location, and you'll need to replace the UUID= line with the UUID for the partition that you have Gutsy installed on. You can open a console and type blkid to find this out. And you will want to remove the acpi=off (I have to have it to get working sound on my laptop).

You can always too, open the backup menu.lst~ file and copy the appropriate stanza and use it to replace the one you have in the current file.
                    Snowhog, your method worked. I now can boot into Kubuntu (using now to type this post). I basically commented out all the previous Kubuntu directions in the grub file and inserted yours with the appropriate edits [used blkid to determine UUID of (hd0,1) which is my /dev/hda2).

Thanks to all for the great support!

M

Comment

Re: WinXP, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS Grub Problem...No More Kubuntu (Solved)

You're more than welcome. So, how many times have you 'crashed and burned' in the simulator??

Comment

You might file this thread away for the day you get a kernel/initrd update or you reinstall (& re-format/partition) Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          You're more than welcome. So, how many times have you 'crashed and burned' in the simulator??
                          I have been kicked out of the simulator

...and point taken about saving this thread. I've bookmarked it along with all the other threads I've been helped on. Now, where did I save those bookmarks?? :P

Comment

Working...
                          X