This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hangs part way through initial boot

just wrote long post only to find i'd logged out...

new to linux
    new acer 6292 with XP
    downloaded 32bit iso (although i thought i shoulld have gotten 64 but intel was only stated for 32)
    eventually got it onto cd
    eventually got it to boot
    chose "start or install kubuntu"
    seemed to load everything fine
    then hung on screen with logo, "kubuntu" and empty progress bar
    ctrl+alt+del
    try again
    ctrl+alt+del (45 mins later)
    try in safe mode
    success... fun... restart
    almost... hangs on orange screen during shut down (15 mins)
    tired and want to go to bed

desperately want to be a linux user
    desperately want it to be a little easier than this

would appreciate any help
    ron

Re: hangs part way through initial boot

Well, now that you can download and burn an iso I'd try it again with the alternate CD. It is exactly the same without all the graphic hullabaloo - plain text mode, straight forward and quicker of course...

My 2cs worth
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

ta toad,

i think that's where i'm at, the annoying thing is i'm on almost dialup speed as i've crossed my download limit. so was hoping that there was some driver lacking that i had to pre-install or something.

oh well, will start the download ordeal again soon.

thanks again

ron

Comment

In my Acer Aspire 5043 (Turion64, 1 GB RAM), this new Kubuntu (7.10) takes TOO LONG to boot! It's like 4 minutes, against 1:30 or 2 in Kubuntu 7.04 and even in windows XP. I have tried first the 64 bits version, but since it was soo slow I thought it was the version, so I changed it to the 32 bits version, but it's almost the same. And the Kubuntu logo does not appear throughout the boot process (maybe it doesn't like the ATI video card...).
        Any clues?
        Thanks.
        Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
        GNU/Linux user #451206
        (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

sorry no idea gonzalo

for those who care...
          turned out i was using actually using kubuntu 6.06 and neither the 32 nor the 64 seemed to get past the logo and stalled progress bar.

i then used 7.10 and that disc didn't read properly at all so i burnt it again using 4x burn speed instead of 8x. This did the trick. i had kubuntu working for a couple of days.

it now won't let me log in (it's got me in a loop) but that's another story.

Comment

I am glad you got your first problem sorted! Here is a link for your second booboo http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091777.0 which has helped those in the same predicament...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by autumnowl
              ... i then used 7.10 and that disc didn't read properly at all so i burnt it again using 4x burn speed instead of 8x. This did the trick. i had kubuntu working for a couple of days.
              Some CD/DVD drives get stupid with some disks... and (I know you know this ) the "check CD..." utility before installing the version is a very good tool!

It's a pity Kubuntu hangs sometimes. Some friends presume it's some LAN configuration problem and/or the system keeps looking for an IP address... Go figure...
              Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
              GNU/Linux user #451206
              (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

thanks toad,

as it happens had someone else post the fix in
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088389.0 which i received at some ungodly hour this morning.

it's all good though, i don't mind a few gliches... they're readily fixed.
                As someone new to linux it's nice to see that it's not a myth that the community really supports itself.

my only issue is that i'm finding myself up until 3 or 4 am and needing to function the next day at work and be civil in a relationship.

For this reason i hope kubuntu settles down a little on my system.

Comment

Working...
                X