This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No autostart of kdm - SOLVED

I am new to Kubuntu, but I have the same problem every time I install Kubuntu on my COMPAQ EVO N400c laptop.
    The install from CD works fine, but after a restart to boot from hd, the screen turn black, the hd works, and after a while the screen show a blury blue garbled image, and at last the screen turn green.
    Ctrl+Alt+Backspace starts the same sequence again.
    If i stop grub during reboot, and choose recovery mode, typing kdm (with no start attribute) at promt will start system with a different login window than if i type /etc/init.d/kdm start. In both ways Kubuntu work fine, but the need of booting via recovery mode is enoying.
    Any suggestions anyone?

Re: No autostart of kdm

Reading other places on this forum gave me the idea of erasing quiet and splash in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    First I erased only quiet, and the result was total disaster. Only textbased mode, and promt far down out of the screen.
    Erasing splash made it!! With more text-info on screen though, but at least my laptop was starting without extra touch.
    I tried to insert quiet again, and it still work in the same way, OK.
    The erasing the splash word made the difference.

So, next question: Why is the Kubuntu logo with duration-bar not working?

Comment

That is interesting - so before your kdm wouldn't start (or come up on screen) and now, because you deleted "splash" from the grub kernel line it does?

FWIW, usplash is the programme responsible for the boot up graphics but it certainly shouldn't interfere with X or KDM

Got to sleep on that one...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for your reply, toad!
        Yes, that is pretty much how it happened.
        I will try to insert splash again, and then see what happens.
        But first, kids to bed!

Comment

It is now confirmed!
          The splash word in /boot/grub/menu.lst makes the difference.
          But still, it is strange that it do not seem to be a quiet boot, since all the info text show during boot.

I'll be waiting for good suggestions!

Comment

What you want is StartUp-Manager, a programme for Gnome/Ubuntu or better its QT equivalent (if there is such thing). Better even would be knowing how to do it on the command line. Unfortunately I don't, but am looking into it - anybody out there
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Just stumbled across this file /etc/usplash.conf - have a look and make sure you adjust the resolution to suit your monitor. Don't forget to make a copy first and report back, please.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                Just stumbled across this file /etc/usplash.conf - have a look and make sure you adjust the resolution to suit your monitor. Don't forget to make a copy first and report back, please.
                Note: changes in /etc/usplash.conf won't take effect in boot-up splash until you update the initramfs
                Code:
                sudo update-initramfs -u
                (It should effect shutdown splash immediately)

Comment

Originally posted by FixFax
                  But still, it is strange that it do not seem to be a quiet boot, since all the info text show during boot.
                  In text mode, quiet doesn't mean silent (you still get the messages, just less of them)

Comment

Re: No autostart of kdm - SOLVED

WOW!
                    Amazing!
                    You guys are great.
                    In my usplash.conf the resolution was:
                    xres=1280
                    yres=1024

My laptop only manages 1024x768, so my new usplash.conf with
                    xres=1024
                    yres=768

and running the code:

update-initramfs -u

did it!

My Kubuntu now works nicely from power on!

Thanks again!

Comment

Re: No autostart of kdm - SOLVED

we aim to please and together we are strong 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X