This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update kills virtual terminal access?

Well, shucks. I took a 7.10 update (from the red triangle icon) a couple days ago; everything's OK except I can't get my virtual terminals Ctrl+Alt+Fn, n=1,...,6, but I do get X back in F7. The update had drivers for Intel i8xx & i9xx, and kernel image & headers (mine is Intel 915GAVL).

Anyone else?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Update kills virtual terminal access?

Sounds like windows is moving in with xubuntu Got to check on my installation straight away...

Herrings in white wine sauce, yes, but no McDonald's herrings please!

UPDATE - right, it is still working on my install but it has apparently wiped my beautiful home made splashy boot up screen. Not surprising 'cos a new kernel came with the update but even a
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    didn't sort it
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
      I can't get my virtual terminals Ctrl+Alt+Fn, n=1,...,6, but I do get X back in F7.
      Could be this one:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089920.0

Comment

Thanks. I don't have the vga thing, but saw some folks trying to mess with the initramfs, so I did, too, trying to re-install the initramfs-tools (then to update-initramfs); however, something fatal got hung up in the -tools re-install, I even lost GRUB, a very long story, ending with ... that sdb2 7.10 install is dead and gone! I'm in another 7.10 now at sdb6 (nice having an extra on hand that's set up—and a separate /home). Sure am learning a lot though, like I also messed up my back-up last week, I knew it, but confirmed that, too, just now!
        Live & learn. Sure am learning a lot these days ...

Thanks for feedback guys; this one's my mess-up
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hehe Way to go... I have a similar setup, separate boot partition, five /, one /home and a few other partitions (downloads, multimedia, maintenance, etc.) but I suppose they could all be in /home, too.

Still don't get your loss of terminals, though, and in particular what made you consider toying around with your initramfs. Care to expand or are you on to new things already ?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I read the bug report in the link, and saw where some people figured out they had certain problems with the initramfs. That was also the content of the recent updates that i downloaded. In the 7.10 I'm in right now, I have 53 updated packages I haven't installed yet--and sure will not do so in the very near future (or I might end up having to use my live persistent flash drive )

Comment

Working...
            X