X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu won't boot.

New to Linux.
    I am using IBM X61s laptop with dual OS( winxp and kubuntu ).
    Kubuntu has been installed successfully but will not boot normally . It gets stuck at the Kubunto logo and the bar does not proceed.

I tried to enter the BIOS and set the Serial-ATA to be compatibility. Then kubuntu boots up with no problem. I have no idea what's problem.

Can any one help on this issue? Do I need to install some kind of driver things ?

Thanks in advance!

Re: kubuntu won't boot.

Originally posted by heavenl
    I tried to enter the BIOS and set the Serial-ATA to be compatibility. Then kubuntu boots up with no problem.
    So does your system boot up with no problem or not It sounds as though you have already solved your own problem.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

What's the difference between ACPI and compatibility? I mean if i use compatiblility, is there gonna be any problem ?

Comment

I am confused. In you first post you stated that you had problems but that you fixed them by adjusting the BIOS - am I reading you correctly? Whatever, let's try and get this sussed.

As for ACPI - that is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And the thing with BIOSs is that they are all different (waiting for open source!)...

Anyway, the good news is that you have an IBM laptop. They are by far the best in terms of just about everything, incl. Linux compatibility. I installed Kubuntu on my T41 without batting an eyelid.

So to your problem. In order to delve into it a little deeper we should see which messages it spurts out during the boot process. To do so press ESC during the 3 seconds after the BIOS has come up to go into the boot loader GRUB. Make sure your system is selected (which it should be by default) and press "e" to edit it. You should now see a line starting with "kernel". Go to the end of that line and remove the "quiet" and "splash" options.

I think you have to press "enter" to accept your changes and boot. You should now see the boot processes on your screen.

Report where it hangs.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I did what you suggested. I can boot the system with no problem and everything looks good. However, I still get stuck on the Kubuntu logo with a normal start up. What's wrong with this?

Comment

Likely a video resolution setting problem during boot. Reboot and edit the kernel option line to remove just "splash" and then continue. Report back on the results.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Removing just 'splash' works fine too.

Comment

Your problem might be related to screen resolution settings in your usplash.conf file. This post may be useful.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Strange thing happened. I don't know why my system boots with no problem after removing ' quiet ' or 'splash' yesterday, but it does not boot up in neither way now.

If I remove both ' splash ' and 'quiet', it get stuck at somewhere as below:
                  ata1: qc timeout ( cmd 0xec)
                  ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY( I/O error, err_mask = 0x4)
                  ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient
                  ata1: COMRESET failed ( err_no = -16 )

and this keep looping.

I tried to remove just 'splash', i got the following:

[ 6.104000] Disabling IRQ # 18
                  [ 47.204000] ata1: COMRESET failed( err_no = -16 )

When I remove 'quiet', the KUBUNTO logo shows up, but the status bar does not go and the stuck at " waiting for root file system".

Im getting mad!! XD

Comment

add "noapic" to the kernel line and report back

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                      add "noapic" to the kernel line and report back
                      That doesn't work either. The same thing appears on the screen. Again, I googled over the Internet, and many people suggest that it's the problem about SATA harddrive.
                      The only way I can boot the system with no problem is go to BIOS and set S-ATA controller option to " compatibility ". Does that mean I will not be able to have some features of sata harddrive??

Comment

still cannot get the problem solved! Need help !!

Comment

Working...
                        X