This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ SOLVED ] It's fine... until I update :(

I've been trying all week to install Kubuntu 7.10 but I'm not being successful
    The checksum of my .iso download is correct.
    Tonight, I tried burning a new LiveCD at a slower speed (2x) but that didn't help.
    My laptop is a Compaq Presario 2170us with 512Meg with a Linksys wireless card (WPC54G) and EVERY Ubuntu derivative has worked.... until this one!
    Here's what happens:
    1- I boot up to the LiveCD and do the install.
    2- I reboot.
    3- After I'm back at the desktop of the fresh installation, I click the Adept Update triangle in the taskbar.
    4- All of the updates (152 of them) download.
    5- The install begins and gets to about 50%, then I get an error saying a package was broken and everything stops (it doesn't tell me which one was broken).
    6- I reboot but my wireless card isn't detected, so I'm dead in the water and any attempts to try to use the restricted drivers is met with an error dialog telling me that the kernal must be updated.

I'm dual booting with XP, BTW, which is what I'm using now as I post this.

I tried last night to install using a cable to my router instead of the wireless card but that didn't make any difference.

After 5 attempts, I think I've been patient. I'm going back to Mint for now...but I'll keep checking here to see if anyone has an idea of what is going wrong.

Thanks
    El

Re: It's fine... until I update

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

[ SOLVED ]Re: It's fine... until I update

The problem was that once I tried updating after a clean installation and received the Adept error, I could never open Adept again, regardless of how many times I rebooted.

I did some more searching in this forum and came across this:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      I ran it in Konsole and, lo and behold, the update picked up where it left off!

I rebooted and my network card was detected and everything worked marvelously!

I'm a happy camper now!

El

Comment

Working...
      X