This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Updates are wiping my menu.lst in grub

I have a dual boot configuration in my menu.lst and sometimes when I update kubuntu it wipes the Microsoft Windows part of menu.lst. My home computer has the same basic configuration, but when it updates it retains the dual boot Windows information. I installed Kubuntu on my home computer after Windows so I think that Kubuntu put the Windows boot information somewhere that allows it to be retained during upgrades. On my work computer, however, I installed Kubuntu first and then tried to change menu.lst to include a Windows drive. It works fine, except when a new upgrade wipes it. I had to create a backup so that I can copy it back over every time. Anybody know what to edit so that Kubuntu will include my Windows in menu.lst after each update?

Re: Kubuntu Updates are wiping my menu.lst in grub

Have a look here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

mike is pretty extensive so you may have to read a bit to get where you want.

He is the grub guru here and can help.

I hope this points you in the right direction
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The updates would wipe out your Windows boot stanza in menu.lst only if the Windows stanza were placed after *** Begin Automagic Kernels List but before *** End Automagic kernels list.
      Thus, edit menu.lst as root and move the Windows boot entry outside (either before or after) the *** Begin & *** End block of text. Then, decide which OS you wish to boot by default (if you don't touch any keys) and adjust your default OS that boots (specified in the line default = located toward the beginning of menu.lst). Finally, save your edits: File > Save and File > Quit.
      See the link Fintan gave you, Reply #1.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Awesome, I knew there was an easy way to do this. I just could never find any documentation on it. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
        X