X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Error 35: Overflow error while parsing numbers

Unhappy tidings,

did the update this morning and noticed that new kernel headers were being installed. 'cos I'm farting around with splashy at the mo I did the update followed by an update-initramfs -u -t -"uname -r".

Now I get the following error directly after selecting Kubuntu from Grub:
    Code:
    Error 35: Overflow error while parsing numbers
    Rescue mode fortunately does come up - I tried another update-initramfs from there but that did not help.

Bit stumped at the moment 'cos the error message 35 appears to stand for just about everything from aardvark to zythum (wish I had some of that right now!).

Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: Error 35: Overflow error while parsing numbers

Yeah, my sense is that 35 can mean anything.

Can you run that initramfs update again, this time using -v to see if you get any helpful messages? You'd have to do it from Live CD or from another working Kubuntu/Linux OS partition.

Also, you * do * have a backup initrd.img file (.bak) in /boot. You can get in there and replace the existing "possibly bad" one with the .bak initrd file. Hoping to just get back where you can work better.

(Then read my dd How-to again -- I just messed up my initrd and didn't have that dd backup of my root partition to my /home. Guess what dd command I ran this morning now that all is well again )
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

toad, perhaps I should mention that I don't know what I'm doing

I recently fixed a broken initrd.img simply by replacing it with the initrd.img---.bak in /boot, and it worked perfectly well. What I'm not sure about is, What then? Will things be ok for future kernel updates etc -- is everything hooked up right? So, then, maybe one could run that initrd fixer update command you mentioned (that's what I did for the heck of it and to sorta check that all went well, watching the verbose -v progress screen).

fyi
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks a ton, Qqmike. Am currently in Etch, am chrooting into Kubuntu and will do as you suggested.

The -v option did not spit out anything out of the ordinary. Will now reboot and see whether it comes up. If not, I'll try the .bak version.. BTW, why did you say that I would have to do it from a different installation? Why not from the safe boot?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

"BTW, why did you say that I would have to do it from a different installation? Why not from the safe boot?"

No reason -- I've not used safe boot; I always go another way; but any way that works is fine.

Comment

Ohhhh, how embarrassing

It did not boot up, I went into safe mode and had a look at menu.lst and on the kernel line it said vga=7922222222222222222222222

I blame it on the cat or the wife, not sure yet which

Having deleted the superfluous twos I am now booting again - anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

Re: SOLVED - Error 35: Overflow error while parsing numbers

Now THAT would be difficult to guess (unless you get into menu.lst and witness it for yourself!). Good thing we didn't try to recompile the kernel or something ...

Comment

Re: SOLVED - Error 35: Overflow error while parsing numbers

but for once error 35 was spot on

Comment

Working...
                X