• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installed windows on kubuntu?

i had installed windows on kubuntu and i am not able to acces kubuntu

can any one please help me ?

Re: installed windows on kubuntu?

What do you mean you installed Windows on Kubuntu? Did you install Windows on top of an existing Kubuntu installation?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

ya i have installed windows after i have installed kubuntu (i mean in another drive)

Comment

OK, you had me worried you'd wiped your Kubuntu partition Do you still have the Kubuntu installation CD? You'll need it to reinstall the GRUB bootloader to your MBR (Master Boot Record); when you (re)install Windows after you install Kubuntu, it automatically overrides your MBR and installs its own bootloader.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

then can u say what can i do exactly to solve the problem
          with out installing kubuntu or windows again

Comment

Yes; all you have to do is boot to the CD and run the following command from a console:
            Code:
            sudo grub-install hd0; sudo update-grub
            That should do it (there's no need to reinstall Kubuntu)
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
              Yes; all you have to do is boot to the CD and run the following command from a console:
              Code:
              sudo grub-install hd0; sudo update-grub
              That should do it (there's no need to reinstall Kubuntu)
              Oh ya.. where were you 4 months ago lol sounds simple enough when YOU explain it.

Kev

Comment

Yeah, and I notice how integr8e likes to use the grub shell within Kubuntu ...
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  Yeah, and I notice how integr8e likes to use the grub shell within Kubuntu ...
                  It seems to work well for me (usually)
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Actually, yes, it should work (usually). As long as it probes the devices right (or uses a correct device.map). It's risky because if it doesn't get the devices correct, then the commands will be applied to, well, to the wrong devices.
                    The native GRUB (the one you see at the grub> when you fire up your PC) always gets the drives right (and you know what they are by using geometry (hd<Tab completion>. One nice thing is--I believe--that sudo update-grub generates a new menu.lst, isn't that right? (I've not used the Linux grub shell.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes, it does and backs up the old one.
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                      X