Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue With Dual Boot - No Option Menu Anymore (SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue With Dual Boot - No Option Menu Anymore (SOLVED)

I just can't seem to leave well enough alone...

Ok..I had WinXP initially on my hard drive in one big partition. Then, about three months ago, I installed Kubuntu which partitioned the drive as needed. No problems. Everything worked great until last night. Last night I installed WinXP Pro into the same partition that the original WinXP (over wrote original XP) was located but the Linux partition was not touched.

I can still see the Linux partition using the Windows XP Disk Management tool. The problem is, when I boot the computer up, I do not get the dual boot option window anymore. My computer just boots right into WinXP Pro like it was the only OS around.

Any help on how to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

M
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Issue With Dual Boot - No Option Menu Anymore

That's because reinstalling XP rewrote the MBR. Qqmike's Grub Howto has help on fixing this.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      That's the how-to.

What partition is Kubuntu on?
      And XP is on the first partition?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Dang! Y'all beat me to it. I found the answer soon after I posted and tried to make it back before someone replied! :P

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

I wish all tech support was this good!!!
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Use the Live Kubuntu CD. get it going.
          Open Konsole (K > System > Konsole).
          Type
          sudo grub
          type
          find /boot/grub/stage1
          That returns some (hdx,y) expression. Use that same expression here:
          grub> root (hdx,y)
          grub > setup (hd0)
          grub> quit
          $exit

exit out the Live CD, remove the CD when prompted, re-boot to test this.

Note the space after root and after setup and after find.

Edit: You just need to reinstall GRUB from your Kubuntu partition to the MBR of that drive (the MBR = (hd0), assuming just one hard drive here; the above commands do that for you.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, are you overwhelmed with success or underwhelmed by my wonderfully dry writing style?

Comment

Problem Solved...I used the live CD to open a shell window and followed the above directions. Worked like a charm. Thank you!

(Sorry for the delayed response).

M

Comment

Re: Issue With Dual Boot - No Option Menu Anymore (SOLVED)

hey mechanism -- thx for your feedback; we're in the business of helping others here, and your feedback will help that!

Comment

Working...
                X