This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I/Can I install the installer on my installation

I recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 onto a 4GB microSD card. This is not the typical USB Pendrive install using squashfs and casper, this is a full blown install just like one would do when installing to a rigid platter magnetic hard drive. So now that I have a bootable microSD card that I can use on any machine that can boot from a USB device, I would like to install from it as well. As anyone knows, the resulting installation created by running the installer does not have an installer. Can I add it back?, how so?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do I/Can I install the installer on my installation

I've not heard of such, but that's all that means.
    I've done what you have done, also the true Live install and the Live w/persistence install to UFD (USB flash drive And we have guys here experimenting with the Live, custom, remastered CD installer.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde....msg113523#new

Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
    (my how-to's) Step-by-step, -- with Persistence -- using GRUB all the way (i.e., no Syslinux): Reply #7

I will also be interested in responses you get here, and will give it some thought as well.

The very first thing that popped into my mind was to simply make an extra partition on your SD card and put a Live Kubuntu on it (w/ its installer), and controlling both your full install and the Live install by GRUB at boot time. Can you do that with an SD card? (I have no experience with such, only UFDs & external USB HDDs). (With UFD, I've put both K/ & Ubuntu on one 2 GB and booted by GRUB to make the selection at boot time.)

Maybe some of the “remastering” guys will chime in; and there are web sites for such, too (see posts under that first link above)--maybe some of the remastering technology transfers to this problem.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just caught the 4 GB's. If you put another partition for a 700 MB Live instance, that won't leave much room for any of your personal data/programs.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hm,

I don't know about adding the installer afterwards - is there an installer package? I'm not running kubuntu, so cannot tell you straight off

On a new installation you'd go for the OEM option or - if you want to personalise it, do a normal install on a desktop, chop and change and do a www.remastersys.klikit.org/.

It all depends really on what you want to do with your 4GB installation (apart from using it as a mere installation medium).
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My 4gb microSD has KDE3 and KDE4 and I use it as a regular Desktop on my wife's tablet PC when the kids won't let me use the good PC. The tablet PC is government property and can't be used for personal use and nothing can be installed to or removed from it. So, since Windows XP Pro on a 1Ghz 512MB PC is unusably slow my wife now uses the microSD for her work too. Once a month she has to turn in her tablet for inspection. Monthly she gets praised for following the personal use rules more strictly than her coworkers and for being more productive. I'm surprised they haven't noticed the 2GB swapfile I added to C:\ for use by Kubuntu.

So anyways, I have 1.3 GB free on the microSD and I would like to keep that space there to facilitate file transfers, updates, and adding new programs as needed. So I don't want to use up >600mb of space to facilitate using this card as an installation medium.

I would however like to install up to 100mb of apps (the installer) so that I can use the same microSD as an installer. This way I can save time by skipping the updating after installing since I keep the microSD up to date.

Comment

Working...
          X