Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want the boot messages back! (I don't like the very quiet gutsy default)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want the boot messages back! (I don't like the very quiet gutsy default)

Ok, guys & gals - I am not happy with the way Kubuntu 7.10 gutsy behaves during boot up on my machine.

I liked the way it was in dapper, when there was a logo and messages appeared under that. (rant) After dapper, things have gone worse and worse for each new kubuntu version. It appears that the developers have decided to do the microsoft thing - hide all technical information for "ordinary" users, and hope they develop the understanding that our operating system is simple. (/rant)

In gutsy, when I select kubuntu 7.10, the display goes black, and the monitor actually goes into power save mode "standby" triggered by some signal coming out of the kubuntu boot process. Then, after a minute or two, the monitor is released from standby, and I get the Kubuntu/KDE login screen in full GUI. (I have a rather slow boot due to a number of reiserfs disks. Reiserfs has more comprehensive file system checks at boot up than ext3. That is why it takes so long time, I think, but then again since I no longer can read the boot messages live and see what actually happens I don't really see the full picture).

My /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like this: (I removed almost all the lines starting with # in order to make the listing shorter and easier to read. I also omitted the entries for other OS and memtest, etc for the same reason)
    Code:
    default     0
    timeout     10

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root      (hd0,4)
    kernel     /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=e39ad654-725a-41d4-a245-beb
    935ce59c3 ro quiet splash
    initrd     /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    # quiet
    As you see, I tried to turn of the quiet mode by putting a # in front of quiet in the last line shown. However, that had no noticeable effect. I gather that it probably wasn't the right thing to do..... What should I have done?
    I also notice now that there is a "quiet" in the optionslist on the kernel line as well. Do I need to edit that too?

AS you understand, I am asking about almost everything concerning "How do I make my gutsy boot look like good ol' dapper?"

Re: I want the boot messages back! (I don't like the very quiet gutsy default)

Wrong spot. You need to delete the quiet from your boot line. You can see it a few lines above the one you commented out.

Comment

Fixed that, now it says:
      Code:
      title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
      root      (hd0,4)
      935ce59c3 ro splash
      quiet
      (notice I also changed the lower "quiet" back to the original, because I didn't notice any change and I don't know what it is for then....).

This changed something for the better: I can now read the boot messages for about 1.2 seconds after I hit the menu entry in the grub menu.

the main problem, however, is still not solved
      After the initial 1 second long flicker of boot up message text across my screen, it goes black, and I get power-saving "standby mode" after ~10 more seconds. After some time (1 minute) the screen come back up with the nvidia logo page and then the kbuntu/kde login.

Didn't get to see much of the boot process
      What should I try next?

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
        Fixed that, now it says:
        Code:
        title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
        root      (hd0,4)
        935ce59c3 ro splash
        quiet
        The above is still incorrect. Remove the quiet (the last line above).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"the main problem, however, is still not solved
          After the initial 1 second long flicker of boot up message text across my screen, it goes black, and I get power-saving "standby mode" after ~10 more seconds. After some time (1 minute) the screen come back up with the nvidia logo page and then the kbuntu/kde login."

I get that behavior all the time, with many things I do with Kubuntu & related. When the screen goes black on you, did you try hitting the space bar on the keyboard? or moving the mouse? That works about 80% of the time for me. Don't know if it is video driver related but have noticed various such things with my Intel D915GAVL motherboard (with on-board Intel GMA graphics.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Also try hitting alt + f1, not what you really want, but should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              The above is still incorrect. Remove the quiet (the last line above).
              Thanks for advice, Snowhog. PS: If you also could explain why I have to remove both "quiets" (in other words, what do they do to the boot process) it would be greatly appreciated.

Now my /boot/grub/menu.lst entry looks like this (as usual, removed irrelevant lines in order to make the message easier to read):
              Code:
              title     Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
              root      (hd0,4)
              935ce59c3 ro splash
              ... and yes, this is the final line of that menu entry. The next line is the title line for the recovery mode boot.

However, this still does not do the trick. My machine still behaves exactly the same as before removing the last trailing quiet. In other words, to repeat myself:
              I can now read the boot messages for about 1.2 seconds after I hit the menu entry in the grub menu.
              After the initial 1 second long flicker of boot up message text across my screen, it goes black, and I get power-saving "standby mode" after ~10 more seconds. After some time (~1 minute) the screen come back up with the nvidia logo page and then the kbuntu/kde login.
              Is it possible that this behavior is controlled by something else, not /boot/grub/menu.lst?

I tried spacebar and "moving the mouse", but they don't have any effect.
              Concerning alt+F1, when? And can you please explain what it is supposed to do?

Now what do we try next

BTW: Hardware configuration
              Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe wireless edition
              Processor:AMD64X2 5000+
              Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, Nvidia driver 169.09 (Custom install)
              Monitors: 2x Samsung SyncMaster204B (LCD displays, at 1600x1200x60 hz) or maybe that is 50hz....

Comment

Okay. If you want to see all of the boot messages before you are presented with the KDM Login menu, remove the splash option from the kernel line:

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
                root (hd0,4)
                kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=e39ad654-725a-41d4-a245-beb
                935ce59c3 ro splash << remove this option
                initrd /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
                You then have:
                title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
                root (hd0,4)
                kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=e39ad654-725a-41d4-a245-beb
                935ce59c3 ro
                initrd /initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Summary of the boot options:
                  splash quiet = splash screen with no messages (default)
                  splash = splash screen with messages
                  quiet = text boot with basic messages
                  (none) = text boot with all messages

You seem to have problems with the splash screen (it isn't shown), you can try changing usplash resolution settings in /etc/usplash.conf (and updating the initramfs). Search the forum or ask for more information if you need to.

Comment

Working...
                  X