Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will it work on IBM Thinkpad PII-233mhz / 256mb ram / Speedtouch 110g wifi?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work on IBM Thinkpad PII-233mhz / 256mb ram / Speedtouch 110g wifi?

Yup, it's one ancient laptop... currently running Puppy Linux and Win98, but slowly, as I've only got 64mb ram in there at the moment... I can buy the ram upgrade for £15 though... but I'll only bother *if* you guys think it'll run reasonably well.

The aim is to get it running well enough for my 10yr old daughter to use for occasional basic word processing and web browsing.

The crunch point is really the Speedtouch 110g PCMCIA wifi card. A quick google suggests it works in Linux, but then I heard that about my Rt73 usb wifi adapter, which I gave up on (that was for another pc, running Ubuntu 7.10 / 7.04 / Open SUSE 10.3 / gOS .... I tried 'em all!)

So... worth a shot?

any thoughts much appreciated

Re: Will it work on IBM Thinkpad PII-233mhz / 256mb ram / Speedtouch 110g wifi?

I had a TP600 which was just about as lightning quick as your machine. Basically I didn't get any joy out of it. If you wireless card is not recognised you may want to get a wireless pcmcia with works - they are pretty cheap.

On machines with those specs I'd go for http://damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/ - lightning fast, uses fluxbox, has all the trimmings, etc. And the _Not_ Damnsmalllinux version, i.e. it uses more than 50MB (!) runs on a 2.6 kernel, so wireless cards should be a breeze.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks Toad

When you say 'no joy' ... did that include Xubuntu too? I notice there's a Fluxbuntu which is suppsoed to be smaller as well... and with FluxBox (which I'm just off to find out what it is!)

seems there's a trillion versions... one of 'em *must* work I shall definitely look at DSL too.

Comment

yeah, it did include xubuntu although that was the only X of the "big three" where you could down one pint (rather than six, where you forgot what you were doing in the first place) only in between clicking something and it coming up.

But you are completely right, fluxbuntu or whatever it is called should be your next port of call. I stumbled across it the other day and it should definitely be tried! fluxbox is a great X and should see you and your daughter right.

Let us know how you get on with it...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
        X