This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] adeptmanager + apt-get not working

I downloaded 7.1 via the bittorrent dvd today, burned via K3b and installed.
    after installation I hit the update manager icon and it had a huge list of updates for me. So I let it go to work. About half-way through it tells me there has been an error. So I search the Forum for the right medicine.
    tried
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get install
    Code:
    apt-get autoclean
    and that made the update manager icon go away so I thought that everything was on the up and up.
    Then I tried to install some packages, ie. libmotif with the adeptmanager, but no love. It starts downloading and then stops with the same error message that I got while trying to do the updates that were not needed. Adeptmanager tries to get me to do a full upgrade, but I am already running 7.1.
    I have tried to install the packages via apt-get and it does not work either.
    Any ideas on how I can fix this.

Remarks: libmotif can be found in adeptmanager but with apt-get it say that it is known under another name.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmotif
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package libmotif is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
     libmotif3 lesstif2
    E: Package libmotif has no installation candidate

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Re: adeptmanager + apt-get not working

Was this a 'fresh/new' installation of Gutsy? If 'yes,' you need to open Adept Manager and enable all the repositories and remove the cdrom repository:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: adeptmanager + apt-get not working

It was a fresh install.
      Removed the cd as on of the repository entries and tried again, but I got the same error message again.
      BUT!!!!!! I found I command that fixed my problem.
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      answered yes to the question
      then did
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install
      Code:
      sudo apt-get autoclean
      and now things are working they way they should
      Thanks for the help
      this community is the bees knees!!!!!!!
      Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

Working...
      X