This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transfer to other hard drive without install

How do I transfer the whole thing to a bigger hard drive, so that I can make use of the larger disk space without reinstall, I can use 'Ghost' on m$ win but don't know how to do it on Linux.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: transfer to other hard drive with install

Take a look at Qqmikes use of thedd Command

CAUTION - Use of the dd command can destroy your HD if not used correctly.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the info., but how does it expand the partition, on m$ I can 'ghost' the partition or the whole disk to a bigger one, the system will automatically make use of the additional disk space, but is that simply on Linux ? and what about the swap, can I simply create a bigger and empty swap and the OS still boot and run properly ??

Comment

Okay. I've used GParted to 'copy' entire drives (it will do that) before. Specific info on doing this is at GParted's site here.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

dd -- you can read the reference by AwesomeMachine (at the end of my How-To cited above) -- he addresses each your questions.

Frankly, I think I'd rather not experiment using dd with your situation. I'd check into Partimage; or lots of folks use GParted. (dd will do it, of course; experts do it all the time, but you & I are not experts, and the dd command is so raw--powerful, but raw; I will gladly do it as an * experiment * on MY drive, but not for someone else's drive. If you insist upon dd, check out the DoD version on Helix, dcfldd.)

A good buddy of mine swears by Partimage.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: transfer to other hard drive without install

Ok, I finally backup the disk with Clonezilla, and then create a primary and a swap partition with Gparted, then restore back the image to the disk, specify 2 options, resize to fit partition and do not create partition, that worked.

Comment

Working...
            X