This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu 7.10

I've tried ubuntu installation but It didn't work so i figured i'd try kubuntu out, can anyone list ANY problems that my current hardware would pose,and which i should install..?
    AMD64 or i386

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
    Mobo: DFI LP UT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35
    Ram: Crucial Ballistix 4Gb
    GPU: 8800 GT XFX Alphadog Edition

I was planning on trying to dual boot install (Not on same HD, not with my ubuntu experience i nearly lost everything) But on a seperate 180gb HD.

Anyways with my past try on ubuntu I got a spam error something with like 0x40 in it.

Any help would be appreciated.. :S

And if it would be possible is there a way to integrate a driver into the install .iso so that my video card can actually work without safe mode? Because I never got past the splash screen with ubuntu because I dont think my 8800 GT is supported?

And if possible.. a step by step =/ , Also I cannot use the text based installer because my keyboard input is getting echo'ed 2x

Re: Installing Kubuntu 7.10

Try the Alternate Install CD. I recommend 64-bit, for your CPU. Then your graphics card will be a challenge. I recommend downloading and running the Envy script installer for your Nvidia driver.

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Comment

How would I use envy? :S Sorry Reallly new to linux.

The real problem is I tend to hit alot of snags and its a real ***** to get help when you cant get on inet :P

Hah... and any way to make my keyboard stop ****ing echo'ing? :|

Because it occassionally echo's in the cmd line which makes it impossible to do anything.

Also.. I've heard the reason that i get the 0x40 error is because of something that happens with p35 with the first few sata ports being different than the last ones anything about that?....

Comment

Well.. bump

Tried installing today, tried start/install kubuntu in normal mode,and in safe graphics mode, both modes gave a black screen and than locked up

Comment

OK, it looks like you have a list of stuff you'd like to get working. I recommend you pick one, like installing Kubuntu 64-bit, and let's get that done (without the Nvidia driver, initially).

Once the OS is installed and booting correctly, then you'll install a browser and get the Envy scrip installer. Once that's done, you'll install and configure the Nvidia driver.

Then you can pick what is next most important to you.

EDIT: Take a look at this -- it will show how to get past the "black screen of Nvidia":

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089767.0

Comment

:| It looks like thats when you've actually got kubuntu installed already, which I cant seem to reach..

Comment

I think i'm just going to end up buying a crap gfx card and a crap ps2 keyboard to install this and iron out the driver issues,than pop my 8800 GT back in and go as normal..

Comment

Anyways.. i've bought a keyboard thats ps/2 so i can use textual installer+ command line, any way to get envy and the drivers with it?

Comment

Working...
                X