This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cant boot into latest kernel

Well, that is interesting, as based on the output of the blkid and cat /dev/disk/by-uuid, as well as the uuid entries in your fstab file, the reported uuid in the ALERT! error doesn't exist, nor should it.

The same (as it should) uuid is in each of the kernel entries in your fstab file. That the 20-15 kernel should work and the 22-14 not, makes no sense at all!

I'm going to contact a member who has a fair amount of experience with GRUB issues, and ask him to review this thread and provide his input. Watch for replies from Qqmike.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thank you so much Snowhog i appreciate everything your doing for me

Comment

Hey, what are Linuxian's if not members of one big family! At least you can still boot into the earlier kernel, so you aren't 'dead in the water.' Have faith. This will get figured out.

And, Welcome to the Kubuntu Forum!

Comment

i'll give up when im dead lol thanks for the welcome its good to be a part of linux im enjoying the experience greatly (on account of i love to tinker with things) i just hope i dont become a pain in the backside 8)

Comment

"If, as the teacher, you tell a man how to spell xylophone, he'll always be the student. Hand a man a dictionary however, and make him look it up, then one day he'll become the teacher."

As long as you don't insist on just being the student, you won't have to worry about becoming a pain in the backside here!

Comment

never i will read and read and read until im at my wits end to try and fix the problem myself and failing that i'll ask for help but only when my eyeballs are falling out of my head i love self learning above all else

Comment

Then you're going to become infatuated (1) with Linux!!

(1)
                in-fat-u-at-ed adj. Possessed by an unreasoning passion or attraction.

Of course, we do know the reason why!

Comment

I just reviewed this situation. That UUID number contradiction is odd -- I don't think I've seen such a problem before.

However, that may be a secondary/consequential phenomenon caused by the, errrr, unconventional installation approach.

I'd recommend getting back out that Gutsy Alternate Install CD, and let's try again with a proper installation of Gutsy in the first place. I don't see the hardware description anywhere, but that original problem, aka "refuses to load the splash screen", has known solutions -- I think this is a video problem that can be worked around. If we can do the straight Gutsy installation, then I don't think the UUID thing will happen.

BTW, how big is the partition for the Kubuntu installation?

Comment

umm for the dev/hda1 19gb
                    for the proc 1kb??
                    for the swap 839.3mb

as for a straight out install i cant do it we tried a few different was even went as far as disabling the usb all together all to no avail the only way i could get gutsy off the live cd and the alternate was to install feisty first i have no idea why but that was all we could do

Comment

No need to make a separate partition for /proc -- I would nuke that. Otherwise looks like a good plan.

So you're installing Kubuntu on a USB drive? Yes, that is known to be hazardous to your sanity. I think there are lots of posts about it on Ubuntu Forum - I gather that it is possible, but tricky. I haven't done it myself -- I barely figured out how to format an 8GB USB memory stick to NTFS and then to be able to mount it and use it for both Linux and Windows.

If Feisty installed and was running correctly, I wonder what happened on the dist-upgrade? Back in June I set up a relative with Feisty, and about a month ago I ran the dist-upgrade to Gutsy. It was a slow process even on broadband -- 950 packages were downloaded and installed. But I left it alone for 45 minutes and it all went fine. There were times when it didn't appear to be doing anything, but I resisted the temptation to intervene, and it all came out right at the end.

Comment

yeah i noticed that patience is a virtue with linux...its a good thing i have plenty of it, but as for installing it on a usb drive i didnt do that i installed it off the alternate CD while logged into feisty onto my HDD as it was the only way i could run it without issues

as for deleting the proc partition do i do that in the /etc/fstab or is a bit more involved?

my 20g HDD is used only to run Linux all my important things like world of warcraft music pictures are all on my second hard drive for safe keeping 8)

Comment

Here's what I would try:

1. Make a GParted Live CD. Download the ISO from here

2. Boot your GParted Live CD, and use that to re-partition that 20G hard drive. The way I've been doing it lately is to put all of Linux including /home in a single 8GB or 10GB partition, and then keep all my data on a different partition, and use symbolic links to show my data folders in the /home directory. Kubuntu itself won't ever take more than about 5GB-6GB, but it's good to leave some room for growth. So, I'm saying partition that 20GB drive into 3 partitions like this:

8GB for Kubuntu
                          1GB for swap
                          11GB (the rest of it) for data

3. Use the Gutsy Alternate Install CD. I'll help you figure out which boot options are needed to get past the splash screen problem -- tell me what your video card is. Once that boots, it's fairly straightforward to install Gutsy, and then of course your GUI won't work until we get a driver installed and xorg.conf configured correctly. Here's more on that topic:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

its a nvidia gforce 7600 GS

i used envy to install it and its working a treat

i have the latest kernals installed and 20-15 is working perfectly but i just dont know why i have trouble booting into 22-14 (and as is always a problem of mine i'm not happy unless it works) but if worse comes to worse i'll just wait until the next kernel is out give it a bug week or 2 and see if i can boot into that

Comment

In your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, you should be able to copy the "stanza" that boots 20-15 over the stanza that doesn't boot 22-14, and then change ONLY the kernel number, and it should work just the same. Probably there's some minor difference that's causing the problem. In other words, open that file with Kate (as Super User) and paste this:

Code:
                              title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
                              root      (hd0,0)
                              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=88b0fb01-9809-4ca2-9e58-1462613b126a ro quiet splash
                              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
                              over this:

Code:
                              title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
                              root      (hd0,0)
                              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=88b0fb01-9809-4ca2-9e58-1462613b126a ro quiet splash
                              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
                              Then edit only the occurrences of "20-15" and change those to "22-14". If that doesn't work, I'm gonna claim there's some defect in the vmlinuz kernel file/image.

Comment

Great thread and lots of knowledgeable stuff from the old masters
                                Originally posted by dibl
                                In your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, you should be able to copy the "stanza" that boots 20-15 over the stanza that doesn't boot 22-14, and then change ONLY the kernel number, and it should work just the same. Probably there's some minor difference that's causing the problem. In other words, open that file with Kate (as Super User) and paste this:

Code:
                                title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
                                root      (hd0,0)
                                kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=88b0fb01-9809-4ca2-9e58-1462613b126a ro quiet splash
                                initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
                                over this:

Code:
                                title      Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
                                root      (hd0,0)
                                kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=88b0fb01-9809-4ca2-9e58-1462613b126a ro quiet splash
                                initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
                                Then edit only the occurrences of "20-15" and change those to "22-14". If that doesn't work, I'm gonna claim there's some defect in the vmlinuz kernel file/image.
                                Alternatively change the default "## default num" to boot in your /boot/grub/menu.lst
                                Code:
                                # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
                                #      grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
                                #      grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
                                #      and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
                                # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
                                # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
                                #
                                # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
                                # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
                                # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
                                # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
                                default     0
                                In your case you would have to change it from 0 to 2. Also, if you are interested in "getting into this Linux thing" I would suggest that you get used to a text editor you can use in the command line such as nano or vim. To see whether you have either of them installed do
                                Code:
                                sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
                                for starters...
                                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                                X