This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 7.10 - new install failure

I have downloaded the CD and installed kubuntu. Adept shows that there is 121 updates, I tried to install the updates, but after 30 % installed, it crash and shot down. After a restart it ask if i will update to version kubuntu 7.10.

My questions are.
    - what am I doing wrong, and how can I get it working
    - I have updated the Adept, before downloading the updates.

I normally use ubuntu 7.10, but wanted another desktop as kde.

Re: kubuntu 7.10 - new install failure

I recommend that, upon booting back up, at the CLI or in a Konsole window do the following:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    This will get the Debian Package Manager back into proper configuation. Then

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    This should bring in and install all the updates, and clear the package cache. Adept Manager may still light up the "Upgrade" button. If so, go ahead and click it -- I don't think you'll hurt anything. Probably there are a couple of packages that are designated "upgrades" instead of "updates".

Comment

Hi It worked until the pc installed 75 %, (40% more than before). I restarted the pc, and then kde didn't start so I run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure Xserver-xorg". But got the failure xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration file; backup in /etc/x11/xorg.conf.2008012415630

What should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by napisok

What should I do?
        I'd say "YES" -- if your GUI is broken, you need to overwrite it. As you can see, it made a backup for you already, so if worse comes to worst, you can simply restore that backup file.

Comment

Working...
        X