This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu black screen

today i reinstalled Kubuntu on a completely formatted partition. Installation is fine but when i get to boot, after choosing to boot kubuntu on the grub menu the screen goes totally black as to load the kernel, but then stays black forever. Xserver problems? How do i solve? I have no clue. trying to fool around on dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg didn't help. I hope some of you will. Thanks in advance. I have a Geforce 8800 gt and a samsung lcd screen.

Re: Kubuntu black screen

When you ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", did you select the "nvidia" or "nv" driver? The problem probably lies with your current driver settings; if you chose "nvidia", try it again selecting "nv" instead. If neither the "nv" nor "nvidia" drivers work, run the command again and choose "vesa", which is compatible with all cards and should definitely work. Let me know how it goes.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I tried the vesa thing. Then reboot, then i start linux from grup and it say something similar to
      starting kdm ............................[Ok]
      etc............................................[Ok]
      loading local script rc...............[Ok]
      _

at that point i can only press ctrl alt F2 to start a konsole. I typed
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start and it said kdm was already running. But how do i get to a desktop then?

Comment

startx
        txWingMan

Comment

doesn't work ... gives me an error unable to connect to x server

Comment

Something is misconfigured with your Xserver (X.org). Try the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" with the "-phigh" argument; it should look something like this:
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
            You may also want to stop KDM with the command
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            Then, run "startx" and see if you get a GUI; if not, make sure you've exited KDM, and run the command
            Code:
            sudo Xorg -configure; sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak; sudo mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            And run "startx" again.

Edit: I modified the command a little.
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The Nvidia 8000-series are kind of tricky to get installed and working correctly. Best advice is to download and run the Envy driver installer, from here. You want the file "0.9.9-0ubuntu6" which is part way down the page.

Here are some further tips, based on my 8800GTS:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089767.0

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                When you ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", did you select the "nvidia" or "nv" driver?
                I want to thank you for that tidbit of info. I was in Kubuntu and installed the nvidia-glx-new files. When I rebooted all I got was the shell screen, no gui.

Went looking for answers and yours rang a bell. Followed the instructions and now I'm able to select the resolution that I want and Ubuntu booted into the gui.

The only problem is that it booted into the Gnome desktop instead of KDE.

But it is progress..

dick

Comment

At the login screen, you can select which session type (KDE, KDE 4, Gnome, etc.) you want to boot to by clicking the drop-down menu on the bottom-right, selecting "Session..." (don't remember exactly what it's called ), and choosing which session you want.

Edit: Also, you may want to check out dibl's link above
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                  X