X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fstab options at Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 installation

hi everyone

a Kubuntu and Linux newbie here.

Is it possible to change fstab options at Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 installation in such a way that Kubuntu's /etc/fstab AND Kubuntu GRUB > Menu.lst uses device id=/dev/sda*  instead of UUID=...some string...  ?

I've recently successfully installed OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 0, Debian 4.0 and Fedora 8 and have noticed that all of those OS' /etc/fstab and GRUB > Menu.lst uses device id=/dev/sda* not the "UUID"

The reason I like to choose (if possible) "device id=/dev/sda*" option is that if I install any other Linux after I install Kubuntu, Kubuntu won't boot up, while that's NOT the case with other Linux OSes I've tried (OpenSUSE, Debian & Fedora).

I'm not sure about Debian 4.0 / Fedora 8 (can't remember exactly) BUT OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 0 does gives you various fstab options.

Details about the error is here : http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1238#msg111238

Thanks a lot in advance.

- Jags
    Vista Ultimate<br />Solaris Express Developers Edition<br />Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4<br />OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 2<br />Fedora 8<br />Debian 4.0<br />Mandriva 2008.1<br />Sabayon 3.5 Loop 1

Re: fstab options at Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 installation

Hm, a simple CTRL+D will boot. After that a
    Code:
    blkid
    will give you the uuid and you can edit your relevant /boot/grub/menu.lst accordingly. No need to work the entire system (which I don't know how to do )
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: fstab options at Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 installation

hi toad

many thanks for your reply.

But I'm not able to boot into Kubuntu/Ubuntu at all.

All I get is this:

::::::::

Error 11: Unrecognized device string

Press any key to continue...

::::::::

And when I hit any key I get back to Fedora's GRUB.

More details here >> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1238#msg111238

That's the reason I was thinking, if there's a way to change default fstab option in Kubuntu/Ubuntu installation.

- Jags
      Vista Ultimate<br />Solaris Express Developers Edition<br />Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4<br />OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 2<br />Fedora 8<br />Debian 4.0<br />Mandriva 2008.1<br />Sabayon 3.5 Loop 1

Comment

Working...
      X