X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 11: Unrecognized device string : Kubuntu 8.04 won't boot up

hi everyone

A newbie here. After installing Fedora 8, Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 won't boot up. I get this error message:

Error 11: Unrecognized device string

If I don't installed any OS after Kubuntu installation, then Kubuntu works just fine.

I have installed these OSes:

1st : Vista Ultimate      on       /dev/sda1
    2nd: Solaris Express    on       /dev/sda2
    5rd: Swap                    on       /dev/sda5
    6th: Kubuntu 8.04       on       /dev/sda6
    7th: Debian 4.0           on       /dev/sda7
    8th: Fedora 8              on       /dev/sda8

All other OSes, Vista, Solaris, Debian and Fedora boots up and works just fine.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a million in advance.

- Jags
    Vista Ultimate<br />Solaris Express Developers Edition<br />Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4<br />OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 2<br />Fedora 8<br />Debian 4.0<br />Mandriva 2008.1<br />Sabayon 3.5 Loop 1

Re: Error 11: Unrecognized device string

boot into kubuntu using the CTRL+D way, go to a console, type
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    to get the right uuid for sda6 and put that uuid into your boot manager.

I didn't notice a boot partition in your listing - which boot manager are you using?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      boot into kubuntu using the CTRL+D way, go to a console, type
      Code:
      sudo blkid
      to get the right uuid for sda6 and put that uuid into your boot manager.
      It's probably not the (kubuntu) root filesystem (sda6), as that seems to resolve correctly, but one of the other filesystems has a wrong UUID tag in kubuntu. Check the /etc/fstab file on the kubuntu filesystem and check if one of the filesystems has the wrong UUID (UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400)
      then use blkid (you don't need sudo if you're in root recovery console) to get the correct UUID and edit fstab accordingly.
      You can edit fstab in the console with:
      Code:
      sudo nano /etc/fstab
      (If you're in the root recovery console, you don't need sudo)

Comment

(If you think you need this post, please read the entire post before proceeding, esp the cautions and *** at the end)

What these guys said. Also - -

You get all this activity when you select Kubuntu from the boot menu when you turn on the PC, right?
        That means it's coming from your Kubuntu boot-up.
        So GRUB must be installed to the MBR of the hard drive (see CAUTION below).
        Here's my guess:

You have two separate problems.

--- One is the UUID thing--when you get the Press Control+D error message. Since you are booting Kubuntu when you get this, the problem is an incorrect UUID in the /etc/fstab file of your Kubuntu partition.
        Copy down that bad UUID (that you posted in the message), go to /etc/fstab in Kubuntu (as root), at Konsole run the blkid command they gave you (above), get the correct UUID and cut-paste it into fstab at the right place. (This is not too serious – it happens all the time – every time you reformat/re-partition/make a change to your hard drive; Control+D gets past it; but you should fix it.)

--- Second problem: Error 11 sounds like it is coming from your /boot/grub/menu.lst file in Kubuntu. Can you post the important parts of the menu.lst (just the boot entries that start with “title” and show the *** Begin Automagic kernels List and the *** End? Or, do it yourself:
        Unrecognized device string means GRUB is trying to access some device (a hard drive or a partition) but it doesn't recognize the form or the syntax of it.
        Example:
        kernel boot/vmlinuz-etc etc root==UUID=etc etc options etc etc

Looks correct? Nope, it is missing the leading slash in front of the boot directory:
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-etc etc root==UUID=etc etc options etc etc

root = (hd0 3). Wrong – it's missing the comma: root = (hd0,3)
        Or root= (hd0,3
        is missing the parenthesis at the end: root = (hd0,3).

So check the /boot/grub/menu.lst in Kubuntu and make sure all the device references look right.

- - - - -
        >> OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUE: Who is running the boot show?!

When you install another OS after Kubuntu, it may be messing with the GRUB bootloader you have installed.

*** Key question (as kubicle noted): Who is running the boot show?
        Is it GRUB installed from Kubuntu to the MBR of that hard drive? or GRUB installed from Debian? or Fedora? You will want to sort this out. It is important. Whoever is running the boot show is giving you the Error 11 from its /boot/grub/menu.lst file (= the boot menu configuration file of GRUB).
        Problem: How does Vista boot? Does GRUB boot ALL operating systems on this drive?

IF Kubuntu is runing the boot show (and thus its GRUB is installed to the MBR of the drive)--
        IF SO—and ONLY IF SO—then you might also try re-installing grub from Kubuntu to the MBR of that drive. It's easy and quick:
        Use the Live Kubuntu CD. Fire it up.
        Open Konsole: K > System > Konsole.
        Get GRUB prompt by typing
        sudo grub
        Then type each of these commands followed by Enter (Kubuntu is on sda6 = (hd0,5)):
        grub> root (hd0,5)
        grub> setup (hd0,0)
        grub> quit
        $exit
        Exit out the Live CD, eject the CD when prompted, re-boot to test this.

***CAUTION: I am not familiar with using Vista! I do know it has its own boot show and utilities. What I showed you here will overwrite anything Vista has installed to the MBR!!! That means GRUB will try to boot Vista, too (which I have seen done without problems, but your setup may be different). *** Also, what we have done here will overwrite anything either Debian or Fedora has written to the MBR!!!

My reference on Vista is:
        Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
        http://apcmag.com/dualboot

Here's my GRUB How-To (e.g., re-installing GRUB):
        How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
        And a general outline on --- Vista -- Linux Dual Boot (Also, some Vista – XP issues) Reply #11

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies.

I'm using Fedora 8's GRUB which is installed in MBR of the only hard drive.

As I've mentioned in my first post I'm NOT able to log into Kubuntu at all. When I try to boot up Kubuntu (from Fedora's GRUB) I'm getting this:

Error 11: Unrecognized device string... Press any key to continue...

and when I press any key I get back to Fedora's GRUB. Though I am able to boot into Vista, Solaris Express, Debian 4.0 and Fedora 8.

Here is Kubuntu's GRUB > Menu.lst ( this I copied before installing Debian. Before installing Debian, I was able to boot up Kubuntu. After installing Debian, I've installed Fedora8 )

title Ubuntu hardy (development branch), kernel
          2.6.24-3-generic
          root (hd0,5)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-3-generic
          root=UUID=bb9376fc-7f60-4330-aa2f-f1e43d21a532 ro
          quiet splash
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-3-generic
          quiet

title Ubuntu hardy (development branch), kernel
          2.6.24-3-generic (recovery mode)
          root (hd0,5)
          single

:::::::::::::::::

And here's Kubuntu's etc/fstab ( again I copied this BEFORE installing Debian & Fedora8)

:::::::

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>
          <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults
          0 0
          # /dev/sda6
          UUID=bb9376fc-7f60-4330-aa2f-f1e43d21a532 /
          ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
          # /dev/sda1
          UUID=F68CCC528CCC0ED5 /media/sda1 ntfs
          defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
          # /dev/sda7
          UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400 /media/sda7
          ext3 defaults 0 2
          # /dev/sda8
          UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400 /media/sda8
          ext3 defaults 0 2
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=911b9f83-a3cc-4237-9fc8-233c5a705341 none
          swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660
          user,noauto,exec 0 0

:::::::

I have repeated all five OS installations like six times, i.e. starting all over again after COMPLETE format of hard drive every time and starting with installing Vista Ultimate first, then Solaris Express, then Kubuntu (few times I've tried Ubuntu too with similar result), then Debian 4.0 (few times I tried OpenSUSE too, instead of Debian) and finally Fedora 8.

Every time before installing Debian (or OpenSUSE) and Fedora 8, Kubuntu, Solaris and Vista works just fine.

In other words if I just install only three OSes: Vista, Solaris and Kubuntu, all three works fine.

When I installed five OSes (without Kubuntu/Ubuntu): Vista, Solaris Express, OpenSUSE 11.0, Debian 4.0 and Fedora 8, ALL FIVE OSes worked just fine.

The problem starts ONLY when I install ANY other OS (i.e. any other Linux) AFTER Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) installation, Kubuntu/Ubuntu won't boot up.

During my previous installation, I was able to log in after pressing CTRL+D, but this time I an NOT able to boot into Kubuntu at all.

Here is Fedora's GRUB > Menu.lst:

default=0
          timeout=5
          splashimage=(hd0,7)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
          hiddenmenu

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
          root (hd0,7)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=I
          rhgb quiet
          initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

title Windows Vista Ultimate
          rootnoverify (hd0,0)
          chainloader +1

title Solaris Express 09/07
          rootnoverify (hd0,1)
          chainloader +1

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22-3-686
          root (hd0,6)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-3-686
          root=/dev/hda7 ro
          quiet
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-3-686
          savedefault

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22-3-686
          (single-user mode)
          root (hd0,6)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-3-686
          root=/dev/hda7 ro
          quiet single
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-3-686
          savedefault

title Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 -- Ubuntu hardy
          (development branch), kernel
          2.6.24-3-generic
          root (hd0,5)
          quiet splash
          quiet

2.6.24-3-generic (recovery mode)
          root (hd0,5)
          single

(development branch), memtest86+
          root (hd0,5)
          kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
          quiet

Thanks again for ALL your help.

- Jags
          Vista Ultimate<br />Solaris Express Developers Edition<br />Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4<br />OpenSUSE 11.0 Alpha 2<br />Fedora 8<br />Debian 4.0<br />Mandriva 2008.1<br />Sabayon 3.5 Loop 1

Comment

Re: Error 11: Unrecognized device string : Kubuntu 8.04 won't boot up

UUIDs

From your first post:
            Unable to resolve 'UUID=6368746f-2074-616b-6f65-207575696400'
            From your Reply #4, that corresponds to BOTH sda7 and sda8. Fix that by running
            blkid
            at Konsole and copy-paste the correct UUIDs where they belong.

Make sure the UUIDs in the Fedora menu.lst are the same as the UUIDs in the Fedora fstab and in the Kubuntu fstab. (The UUID in Fedora fstab should agree with the UUIDs in the Kubuntu fstab. That's the purpose and the magic of using the UUIDs.)

For now, forget about Error 11. (However, do check that Kubuntu entry in Fedora that I copied here—Is there a space between “generic” and “root”?)

First, let's get these UUIDs correct.

I'll post this and then take another look at what you've posted. Maybe someone else will check all this and see something, too, but the UUIDs are so messed up that they could be introducing flaky behavior elsewhere.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Something else to try (unless/until we get UUID progress or better ideas):
              In Fedora's menu.lst, place a # sign before each of these lines:

# title Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 3 -- Ubuntu hardy
              2.6.24-3-generic
              # root (hd0,5)
              # kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-3-generic
              quiet splash
              # initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-3-generic
              # quiet

Now, leave that there, but re-type it by hand (carefully) just below it without the # signs:
              2.6.24-3-generic
              root (hd0,5)
              quiet splash
              quiet

(When you edit the Fedora menu.lst, you must do so as root, then File > Save and File > Quit. Ditto for editing fstab's -- do so as root and don't forget to File > Save, File > Quit; and with fstab, you can also do
              sudo mount -a
              at Konsole, or re-boot.)

Comment

hi Qqmike

Many thanks for your reply.

I have just edited my first post as the "Unable to resolve 'UUID=..." error was from previous installations not the current one. I posted it to mention that, even during my previous installations, if I installed any other Linux after Kubuntu/Ubuntu installations, I was getting errors.

I guess it was confusing so I have deleted that part from my first post.

Here's the Fedora 8's /etc/fstab (from current installation):

LABEL=I &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; / &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; ext3 &#160;
                defaults &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;1 1
                tmpfs &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; /dev/shm &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;tmpfs
                defaults &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;0 0
                devpts &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;/dev/pts &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;devpts
                gid=5,mode=620 &#160;0 0
                sysfs &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; /sys &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;sysfs
                proc &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;/proc &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; proc &#160;
                /dev/sda5 &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; swap &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;swap &#160;

- Jags

Comment

I'm not familiar with Fedora, but its fstab does NOT include an entry for sda6--sda6 is where your Kubuntu is located, right?
                  If I'm reading that right, that could be a problem. (and could cause Error 11)
                  You need an sda6 entry in fedora's fstab.
                  Am I right here?

Comment

In fact, the Fedora fstab doesn't list the other partitions explicitly, so maybe it does it in some other way We need so help here with Fedora's fstab issue!

(I'm going to be interrupted here for awhile any minute now, but will return after that.)

Comment

hi Mike

Many thanks for your help.

Regarding your post# 8:

I am completely new to Linux but just noticed that Fedora's /etc/fstab does not mention anything of /dev/sda7 either ( just as you mentioned of /dev/sda6 ), still Debian 4.0 (which is installed in /dev/sda7) boots up just fine.

Regarding your post# 7:

" Ditto for editing fstab's -- do so as root and don't forget to File > Save, File > Quit; and with fstab, you can also do
                      sudo mount -a
                      at Konsole, or re-boot.) "

Does that mean, you want me to edit Fedora's /etc/fstab along with Fedora's GRUB > Menu.lst ?

Can you clarify how to edit Fedora's fstab, PLEASE...

Thanks again, I highly appreciate it.

- Jags

Comment

Ok, I guess while I was replying to your post# 8, you already posted about Fedora's fstab not mentioning anything of any other partitions.

- Jags

Comment

OK.

We need to know how Fedora's fstab works. BUT, first, maybe, let's try this:

Forget about UUIDs for a minute.
                          In fedora's menu.lst, in the boot entry for Kubuntu, instead of UUIDs, let's try the old way (like Debian does).

2.6.24-3-generic
                          root (hd0,5)
                          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-3-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
                          quiet

Comment

Edit fedora's /boot/grub/menu.lst as root then File > save and File > Quit.
                            Make the change indicated by my last post.
                            For now, just put a # sign in front of the old kernel statement (or copy/paste it somewhere safe, like a word processor document.)

Comment

after the edit, close out everything in fedora and re-boot to test it
                              I have a feeling Fedora doesn't like UUIDs or is not (yet) using them;

Comment

Working...
                              X