This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot display this video mode during CD load

I'm trying to install KUBUNTU 7.10, either from a downloaded CD or DVD, but I get to a problem with the LCD display, after a couple of minutes of all looking fine as it cannot cope with the video mode. The CD/DVD has loaded fine, I presume, because I can hear the usual start up music. I have tried adding vga=771 or 791 to boot line, with no difference. Both MEPIS 7.0 and KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CDs load OK. (this is being written from KNOPPIX).

I have managed to load a KUBUNTU command line only install, from the text install option, but very little seems to have been installed onto the hard drive, eg startx doesn't work after login.

How else can I get this KUBUNTU CD to load?

Grateful for any steers - I've looked all around the forum and HOWTOs but cannot find the answer. Greg

15 Dell LCD display (working at 1024x768, 75Hz refresh under KNOPPIX), IBM Intellistation E Pro, Matrox AGP card, PIV 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Re: cannot display this video mode during CD load

If you can get to the Kubuntu command line, I'd try to set up a VESA display first, following these steps:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

It sounds like it's setting a refresh rate outside the limits of your LCD.

Comment

Thanks dibl, I hadn't spotted topic 3085112.0. I have reconfigured the xserver now, but cannot seem to start x as I get
      Fatal error, server is already active for display 0, if this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.XO-lock and start again.
      There doesn't seems to be an .XO-lock file, but this has opened up a new avenue of hope, so I'm persisting. Greg

Comment

A bit of googling around showed that a second display can be started. I assume that display 0 cannot be shut down, when running from a CD. If you hit this problem, type
        Code:
        sudo startx -- :1
        and low and behold, the display comes back, if you used
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        correctly. Thanks dibl for a point in the right direction. I now have ubuntu gOS (my kubuntu cd proved faulty) up and running, using this. Greg

Comment

Working...
        X