This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you assign a root file system during installation

I want to install Kbuntu 4 Alpha 3 to a specific partition on my hard drive.
    I chose manual configuration for partitioning.
    When I select a specific partition I get a message stating that no root file system is defined and to correct from the partition menu.

What is a root file system and how do I establish it - I see no menu heading for such action.

Re: How do you assign a root file system during installation

The root of the filesystem is "/". The rest of the filesystem is built upon that.

So, in manual partitioning, you have a partition (of 5+GB I hope) that you have chosen for installation of Kubuntu. Let's suppose it is the partition at

/dev/sda2

So, in your partitioner, you want to highlight the partition shown as /dev/sda2, and click "next" and then on the next page you want to set that as the "/" or root filesystem. Then indicate that you want it formatted, and click "done with this partition" and then when it throws you back to the preceding screen you scroll all the way down to the bottom and tell it you are done partitioning, and to go "Next". That should do the trick.

Comment

Thanks - I assigned as suggested but have stalled out.
      I only have 198 ram - is that enough for a hd installation?

Comment

While the root partition '/' mentioned above concerns hard drive space, with only 198 MB of RAM, you may want to consider running something less memory intensive, such as Xubuntu or an earlier version of Kubuntu, like Dapper (6.06 LTS). However, I'm sure you can run Hardy, it's probably going to be pretty sluggish though.
        HP dv2600: Core2 @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce-M 8400SE , Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy 32-bit<br />Gateway E4000: P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200SE, Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 32-bit<br />Averatec 2200: Turion64 @ 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 7.10 Gutsy 64-bit

Comment

Yep, 198MB RAM is borderline country. You will undoubtedly have a better install experience if you go for the "alternate" CD.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X