This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing KMenu Defaults

I would like to customize the KMenu for any new users created on my system. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on editing the default KMenu items and structure from the command line? I'm trying to read up on .menu, .directory, and .desktop files and the hierarchy based on their locations...but one simple HOWTO would save me hours.

Re: Changing KMenu Defaults

I've also been interested in this issue, still putting it off... Let me know how you get along or whether you found a good link - I will do likewise of course.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I think I have a lead from a post in 2004...
      1. Configure your KMenu using the GUI. It will record your changes to ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu. Copy that file to /etc/xdg/menus/mychanges.menu.
      2. Add the following to the bottom of /etc/xdg/menus/kde-applications.menu:
      <MergeFile>mychanges.menu</MergeFile>

Source: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-kiosk&m=107411193926849&w=2
      (EDIT: I've changed the directories referenced in that post from /etc/xdg/menus/ to /usr/share/app-install/desktop/).
      (EDIT: My bad. It is /etc/xdg/menus/. Fixed post to reflect.)

This is for one big modification as opposed to individually adding "Hidden=true" to the .desktop files.

Comment

great stuff thanks a lot for that link!
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
        X