X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interruption of KDE upgrade via Adept

Hi all,

Each time I start an upgrade recommended by Adept notifier, I checked if everything is OK by displaying the detail and I noticed that I still received an error message ending with "Failed to open device". I tried to copy-paste the entire error message via the Adept's Edit menu but it doesn't contain any Cut-Copy-Paste option. Knowing that any interruption can be catched via the command line "trap", I was confident... After having selected the entire error message, I tried the Ctrl-C command during the KDE upgrade from version 3.5.8 to 4.0... and the result is an aborted KDE upgrade and the impossibility to restart Adept (I still received an error message saying that there was still was another occurence of Adept running and locking the database of packages). I decided to reboot the system and start the upgrade again.
    Now, I'm indeed not able to boot the system anymore in normal mode neither in recovery mode.
    I'm afraid to be forced to reinstall completely Kubuntu unless someone has a better idea. Fortunately, I store my data on other partitions than the system itself. I think that this kind of "risky" upgrade should be driven in a more secure way (catching of interruptions, backup, disaster-recovery, warning messages...).
    Any help is welcome.

Re: Interruption of KDE upgrade via Adept

When you boot into recovery mode try doing:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    at the prompt.
    then do the following:
    Code:
    then apt-get clean
    Code:
    apt-get autoclean
    and finally
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    if you still get errors please post them here so a more knowledgeable person can address them.

If you don't get any messages you should be able to get into recovery mode by typing:
    startx
    you will be in root mode so don't fool around too much

If that works you should be able to reboot as normal.

Now imho adept is not very "adept", sorry for the pun
    Install synaprity from a terminal:
    sudo apt-get synaptic
    It is a much more stable package manager to be found under system in the kmenu.

For more about synaptic:
    http://www.debianadmin.com/simple-pa...in-ubuntu.html

I hope that helps
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi,

First, thanks for your quick response.
      I cannot boot in recovery mode indeed !
      I just can reboot with my installation CD.

Regards

Comment

You don't have to boot "into" recovery mode.
        Just boot with recovery mode until you get to the prompt. which will look something like this:
        root@yourcompuetrname: $ then type the above commands in that oder
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi,

I received an error message "File not found" or something like that (I'm currently not in front of my home PC) when I try to boot, directly after choosing one of the proposed options in the GRUB menu.
          I've first to find why I received this message and see if there is still a /boot/vmlinuz file present. To do this, I first have to boot from my installation CD. Only after having solved this first problem, I hope, I will be able to type the commands you advice me to type.

Regards.

Comment

Hi,

For backup purposes, the Adept upgrade process had simply renamed the initrd file used during the boot phase. This is why I could not boot from my hard disk. I booted from my CD and just renamed the file as it is called from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
            After that, I executed the commands you advice me but it still remains inconsistencies because there are a lot of missing dependencies.
            Nevertheless, my current KDE environmment seems to work, more or less...
            Now, I try to complete the upgrade from KDE 3.5.8 to KDE 4.0 but the process still aborts because of the number of errors and missing dependencies and despite of the execution of "dpkg --configure -a", "apt-get autoclean", "apt-get dist-upgrade", "apt-get -f update" and "apt-get -f upgrade" commands. In addition, the command "dpkg --configure -a" gets an error message and abort with a core dump !
            The Synaptic tool doesn't help me very much. I try to use it to find all the broken packages and I don't get a clear list of them, neither what is the order of package's installation to follow. Probably, it should be better to retype all your commands in the recovery mode (without KDE being started) in order to avoid side effects.
            What do you think about it ?

Comment

You could try that from the prompt in recovery mode.
              If that doesn't fully work....
              I have a question first: are you trying to install kde4? This will put a separate instance of kde4 on your system which you can choose at login.
              I ask this because I am not aware that you can "upgrade" your existing kde 3.5.8.
              If you are trying to install kde4 how did you go about it?
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi,

I thought that I could do it, which seems to be the case but as I can see, it's a risky operation. At the moment, I have an "hybrid" KDE environment with KDE 3.5.8 mixed with KDE 4 applications or tools, which is not the ideal situation.
                In fact, I started by installing kde-core 4 (advice given at this URL: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php) and following this, Adept notifier proposed me to install all the related KDE4 tools and packages.
                As you have probably noted, I'm not an English native speaker and I'm sorry for my very bad and limited knowledge of English language. I do my best to make my emails understandable for my correspondents.

Comment

Okay, well adept does have its quirks. That is why I use synaptic. Be that as it may. Try running those commands at the recovery mode prompt. If that doesn't work try doing this:
                  http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php
                  Code:
                  apt-get remove kdelibs5 kde4base-data kde4libs-data
                  then do:

Code:
                  apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                  this should give you your normal kde desktop back.

You can test this by doing
                  Code:
                  startx
                  after having done the above.

Do you have:
                  in your sources.list?

If not put it there. From the desktop (in recovery mode) open up kate (editor) by doing alt+F and typing
                  kate
                  and navigate to:
                  /etc/apt/sources.lst
                  and adding the above repository.

Now do:
                  Code:
                  apt-get update
                  Log out of "root" and reboot into your user (normal boot)

If all has gone well up until now open up synaptic do a reload and go to status and look for upgrades. Install them. After that do a search for kde4.
                  Mark kde4-core and install it.

If all goes well you should be all set.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X