Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's gonna be an early KDE4 adopter?

.....Kwin4 is painfully slow.
    Maybe this will clarify a few things:
    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/ent...le.php/3721606

or this:
    http://softvision.wordpress.com/2008...-reports-only/
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Not sure what your getting at...

That seems to clarify everything else,...

Summary

The one of the biggest advancements in KDE4, is the portability of the code. using Phonon, and Solid, etc, KDE can easily work across all platforms.

KDE 4.0 is a release of the supporting platform, and is not to be considered a finished Desktop. This is to speed up the developmental process.

Nope, it does not clarify things,... Unless I'm missing something. Perhaps Solid is slowing Kwin4, or Plasma down

Originally posted by Monster_user
      I want to see what Plasma has to offer...
      Since most of the differences are under the hood, I haven't noticed any differences between aRts [sp?]/gstreamer, and Phonon. Now when Amarok is ported to Windows, then I might start noticing.

Solid is cool, I like solid, unless it is inefficient.

I'm not to sure I like Akonadi. The verdict is still out on NEPOMUK-KDE. It sounds great, but I keep thinking of Akonadi, and the Windows Registry, etc... To much information in one place.
      The answers are out there...

Comment

I had a play with the live CD and was mightily impressed with what was offered. Not quite brave enough to install in the PC i share with the wife but the urge may not last the weekend. I somehow doubt kde4 with all the effects will run on my 5 year old laptop (512 Ram ,amd athlon xp 1800). I would like to know the minimum requirements on a PC for kde4.

Comment

Be brave, you can select which version of KDE to use before you log in

Comment

Originally posted by assettt
            I somehow doubt kde4 with all the effects will run on my 5 year old laptop (512 Ram ,amd athlon xp 1800). I would like to know the minimum requirements on a PC for kde4.
            My system is a Pentium 4 1.6ghz Desktop, with 512mb of RAM, and a Geforce 6800 card. It was running slow because of Driver issues. Now it runs decent. The shadows and Fade effects are nice, and usuable now.

It will work fine, if your laptop's video supports Hardware Compositing. Otherwise, you may have to use the old KDE3 Kwin, and KDE3 effects.
            The answers are out there...

Comment

Just thought I'd mention the keynote video from the kde4 launch is really good for explaining the ideas and technologies behind kde4. Check it out at
              http://dot.kde.org/1200812119/
              Its does a brilliant job of explaining what has been done with phonon, solid, oxygen etc. & the advantages they bring over kde3.
              Its 80 odd mins but if you have the time and are interested in what all these technologies mean for kde4 and where they are looking at taking it then its well worth watching.

Comment

I've installed it and tried it on my laptop... I won't be switching to it full-time until they've coded the Plasma config apps and I can stop it from looking so much like Windows Vista.

Comment

Now that I have my sound card working properly I have zero need to jump back into KDE3 at all. I have a few of the programs linked off of Panel now (use new menu and rightclick send to Panel) and the thing just seems to work fine.

Konq crashes constantly..... but I don't really use it much anyway.

there are a few themes popping up on KDE-Look now. I haven't tried any yet...

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=9

Kev

Comment

Thank you for the link. But when installing one of them with ./configure I get:
                    fred1@fredws:~/cloudcity$ ./configure
                    does not seem to be a proper qt4 environment, try passing "qt-dir=<Path to Qt4>"
                    fred1@fred:~/cloudcity$
                    All the other themes seem to install the same way.

Any ideas?

Comment

I'm probably a weird early adopter. I've been using gnome ever since first installing ubuntu three years ago. I've tried to use kde several times over the years but have never stuck with it.

My latest try was just a month ago, and I gave up when I discovered that kpim would not sync with my old Palm m-100. I've never been thrilled with evolution, but at least it works, including syncing with my Palm.

So I've decided to take the plunge directly into KDE4. So far, not much is working although what is seems very stable. I still have to use evolution. And the tiny fonts are driving me crazy. But the overall concept appeals to me. I especially like the fact that the KDE team has taken a fresh look and introduced some new technologies.

As a little background, I've been writing code for over 40 years. Almost all my professional experience is with assembly language, so I'm not dependent on a GUI. In fact, I've designed a couple of them in assembly language. But when I first saw a Macintosh in 1984, I decided to use Macs for all of my "office" work --- word processing, financial records, etc. I began dabbling with GNU/Linux in 1999, but turned almost exclusively to it in 2004 when I retired from my teaching job.

As for linux desktops, the minimalist approach has an appeal for me, but I have to admit that I was far more productive on the Mac. I'm looking forward to seeing what KDE4 brings us.

Comment

Originally posted by rplantz

I'm looking forward to seeing what KDE4 brings us.
                        Honestly, if KDE 3.5 isn't satisfying your needs, I can't imagine KDE 4 is going to set you free. It's more "evolutionary" than "revolutionary", IMHO. In other words, if you like KDE 3.5, you'll love KDE 4. But if KDE 3.5 isn't your "cup of soup", KDE 4 isn't going to seem all that different.

Two cents' worth.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Honestly, if KDE 3.5 isn't satisfying your needs, I can't imagine KDE 4 is going to set you free. It's more "evolutionary" than "revolutionary", IMHO. In other words, if you like KDE 3.5, you'll love KDE 4. But if KDE 3.5 isn't your "cup of soup", KDE 4 isn't going to seem all that different.

Two cents' worth.
                          Perhaps I should give 3.5 another try?

When I saw that kpim wasn't syncing with my Palm, I started trying to fix it. Then I saw that 4.0 had been released. Of course, I didn't read the "fine print" and assumed that it was essentially complete. Wrong. It now looks like it will be a while before the various applications will be available under 4.0.

Meanwhile, as I understand things, I could simply install kubuntu (KDE 3.5) along side 4.0 and give it a try. I am aware that I haven't given KDE a fair try until I've become comfortable using it; the familiar (gnome for me) always seems "more natural."

Comment

Ahhhh Choice! Gota love it! It does for anyone all comes down to what feels natural. I've used XFCE, GNOME and a few others and KDE has always "felt" natural so that is why I use it for my *buntu system. The rest is all the same! To me it's fun playing around other Desktops. I always find a few things that are interesting in the way they are implemented compared to others.

Comment

Well after some thinking I installed KDE4 on my system and I really like it. Seems to boot faster. I don't use all the "extras" on 3.5 so 4 feels nice to me. I am sure once they get a few releases under the belt this desktop is really going to take off. For me I am using it as my default but still have the default available if I need it. I would rate it as worth trying it out. Give yourself at least a week with it and see how you feel about it and then go back and log in to 3.5. That is what I am doing. Gnome and XFCE are not an option for me.

J
                              8)

Comment

My latest try was just a month ago, and I gave up when I discovered that kpim would not sync with my old Palm m-100. I've never been thrilled with evolution, but at least it works, including syncing with my Palm.
                                If your palm m-100 is the only problem you can always install evolution on your Kubuntu kde3.5
                                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                                4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X