This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's gonna be an early KDE4 adopter?

I've got KDE4.0.0 downloading right now. I'm actually kinda giddy to try it!! The LiveCD has not been working for me.. which gives me some concern.. but not enough to stop me from trying to pooch my system now. hehe

Looks like a long download.. showing 5+ hours right now.. the repos have been slow for me lately.

Kev

Re: Who's gonna be an early KDE4 adopter?

Hmmm, trying to install it with no success,

here is the problem http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3090263

Mike

Comment

Downloaded the LiveCD. It did a lot better for me this time around, but it's going to take some playing around. All in all I'm quite impressed. Tried activating the Desktop Effects but got a black screen, but I could still see the mouse pointer. It must need those same lines I added in xorg.conf to make Compiz work. I was able to place the widget for the old style kmenu in place, which helped me try things out. That new menu will take some time to get used to.

Comment

I will wait for stability. No hurry here.
        txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by cynical_remarks
          Hmmm, trying to install it with no success,

here is the problem http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3090263

Mike
          Ugh... I'm back at work and by reading your post I know my system is currently at home downloading and soon to install the wrong packages... lol!

I didn't add this repo.. and so I don't have KDE4-core installing... well it'll be interesting to get rid of no doubt... and then I'll have to download it again... lol Gotta love people like me who start something before they have half a clue what they're doing. Of course the instructions at kubuntu.org today say nothing about adding this repo...

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
            I will wait for stability. No hurry here.
            I will as well. That is not to say that I won't keep KDE4 around, and update it every so often. I won't use it as my primary desktop. KDE3.5.x is just so well polished, that KDE4 feels like a huge step backwards.

The answers are out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
              I won't use it as my primary desktop. KDE3.5.x is just so well polished, that KDE4 feels like a huge step backwards.

I'm sure this is effectively discussed elsewhere but since you brought it up.

What things do you find lacking in 4 that are polished in 3 now? Other than Screenshots and excitement I'm completely unaware of what's happening with 4.

Kev

Comment

Of course the instructions at kubuntu.org today say nothing about adding this repo...
                Instructions:

* Remove previous KDE 4 packages, they are not compatible (apt-get remove kdelibs5 kde4base-data kde4libs-data)
                * Add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list
                * Install kde4-core, note that PPAs aren't authenticated so you will likely get a warning when installing
                * KDE 4 apps should appear in your KDE 3 K-menu or you can run a full session by selecting "KDE 4" from your login manager.
                * To avoid having to start a second X server for a full session install xserver-xephyr and run Xephyr :1 then and run /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde in the Xerphyr xterm.

Thanks to stdin for his help with these packages.
                http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php

I'll be using it more and more. There are a few quirks, like the panel configuration, etc. but it seams stable enough after a day working with it. I'll see what happens. Definitely not going full blast until kde4.1
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  Of course the instructions at kubuntu.org today say nothing about adding this repo...
                  Instructions:

* Remove previous KDE 4 packages, they are not compatible (apt-get remove kdelibs5 kde4base-data kde4libs-data)
                  * Add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main to your /etc/apt/sources.list
                  * Install kde4-core, note that PPAs aren't authenticated so you will likely get a warning when installing
                  * KDE 4 apps should appear in your KDE 3 K-menu or you can run a full session by selecting "KDE 4" from your login manager.
                  * To avoid having to start a second X server for a full session install xserver-xephyr and run Xephyr :1 then and run /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde in the Xerphyr xterm.

Thanks to stdin for his help with these packages.
                  http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php

I'll be using it more and more. There are a few quirks, like the panel configuration, etc. but it seams stable enough after a day working with it. I'll see what happens. Definitely not going full blast until kde4.1
                  Ya I just re-read it... lol I'm good at not seeing stuff sometimes... lol

I just got home and I have another 2 hours to wait for it all to download...I'm considering killing this download and starting from scratch doing what they actually did say on the main page..

Kev

Comment

Decided to stop the other download and just try it the "right" way. Now I only have 11 mins to wait!

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it... lol I'm likely gonna be dissapointed or completely trash my system. I'm a little concerned that it needs to remove kdebase-bin-kde3.

Kev

Comment

Nope. Think I'll wait still. I have a stable GG running CF. I'm concerned about some of the 'basic' problems that are being reported with KDE4. :P
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So it's installed and it's INCREDIBLY fast! I can't believe how snappy it is. And other than all the fonts in Firefox are microscopic it looks great and seems to be working.

Kev

Comment

wow I'm really in love with this desktop!! If I could get the fonts in the toolbars of FireFox to be something larger than microscopic, and the fonts in my launch bar to be smaller than HUGE I'd be absolutely nuts about it!

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
                            What things do you find lacking in 4 that are polished in 3 now? Other than Screenshots and excitement I'm completely unaware of what's happening with 4.
                            Well, Lets see. The big issue is customizability. I've now spent a day, trying to change the "Kicker" wallpaper.

Its big, black, and ugly. "Kickoff" looks terrible as well, and I'm not sure about how it works. Give me the Baghira Menu, or KBFX, or Raptor, etc...

There is almost no software available for KDE4. So I don't have anything to take advantage of its extra features.

I do like the enhancements to the Dolphin File Manager, as well as the Oxygen theme.

---------------
                            Edit: finally started to read the "How Tos"

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090269.0

Look at the USING/CONFIGURING section.

The biggest element of the new GUI, is the Taskbar. It fails. It is Ugly, has limited functionality, and can't even perform drag and drop operations.

That one item has nearly ruined my KDE4 experience. The more I dwell on it, the more I hate it.
                            The answers are out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
                              There is almost no software available for KDE4. So I don't have anything to take advantage of its extra features.
                              There is quite a lot of kde4 software in the repos (at least in the hardy repos), they're just not installed by default with kde4-core (kde4-core just installs the core packages)

The biggest element of the new GUI, is the Taskbar. It fails. It is Ugly, has limited functionality, and can't even perform drag and drop operations.
                              It'll get better and more easily configurable, probably in 4.1 (plasma is still 'under development'...in the mean time you can run kde3 kicker in kde4 (just run 'kicker')

And on the original topic:
                              I'm generally impressed with kde4, but it won't be my primary desktop until it reaches feature parity with kde3.

Comment

Working...
                              X