Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu doesn't get to the installation part....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu doesn't get to the installation part....

I currently have 2 Harddrives but the newest one of the 2 has nothing at all on it. When i run the Kubuntu 7.10 live Dvd, the screen that gives you the selections on what to do appears. I select the first one which is run or install kubuntu installation. After doing so, it does loading kernel and so on but then nothing happens. There is one word written on the top left of the screen and the window stays that way as if it wants me to run the thing by commands.... which i have no clue how to do due to the fact that I know 0% of linux and I really want to get into the linux experience... Can anyone help me out? Someone told me that maybe i could do alt F1 to get it to do something but after doing that all that happens is " Loading please wait " and nothing ever happens.....

Re: Kubuntu doesn't get to the installation part....

Could you tell us which processor you are using, i.e. AMD64 or whatever (to make sure you downloaded the right Kubuntu). Also, have you tried the second entry "Safe Graphics" (or something like that.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I actually tried each entry there to see if one of them would work and none of them actually do.

My system is :

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4 ghz,
      3 gb of DDR2 800 ram,
      nvidia 8800GTS 512 mb,
      250 seagate and 250 western digital HD.

The version of the dvd that I downloaded was the PC (Intel x86) install/live DVD. Should i of downloaded the 64-bit PC (AMD64) install/live DVD ?

Comment

Reboot. When you are presented with the initial menu, press 'e' to edit the boot kernel line entry. Use your arrow key to move the cursor all the way to the end (right) of the kernel line. Then, arrow left until you see the words splash and quiet and delete each one. Arrow all the way to the end (right) of the kernel line and then press Enter to continue to boot.

This will allow you to see the boot messages as the system goes through its paces. If it hangs, you can note the last message that is presented. That will help us solve your problem for you.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok, I redid it and this is where it stalls/hangs/stops working..

Code:
          [26.216000] ide: Failed opcode was : unknown
          [26.216000] hda: drive not ready for command

BusyBox v.1.1.3 ....

(Initramfs):
          So, i'm guessing its a problem with my harddrive.. Can you help me set it up for it to work?

Comment

You said you downloaded the 32-bit (x86) version of the DVD. You do have a 64-bit system, so I would 'suggest' that you download the 64-bit version and give it a go - first. Also, you should note, that the DVD downloads (Alternates) aren't LiveCDs, so you don't get the option to 'try before you install' - it is 'install only.'

If you don't have any better luck with the 64-bit version, let us know and we'll procede from there.

Comment

I'm currently downloading the torrent of the 64 bit version. It's only at 64 % so I'm not sure if I will have time to repost tonight but I hope that it will work. I know that the DVD one is only an installation disk but I don't mind because my HD has nothing on it yet so I don't mind installing it kubuntu on it.

Comment

"...my HD has nothing on it..."

That answers the concern addressed with my note on the DVD vs LiveCD.

Comment

Ok, so I redownloaded the live CD -> The 64 bit one.

I deleted the plash and quiet again like you told me to do because it screwed up again and now it stopped working at

" Running local boot scripts ( /etc/rc.local ) "

It just stayed at that line and never did anything. What can I do to fix that?

Comment

The strongest likelyhood is that your video card is creating the problem. Reboot. Look at the Function key options at the bottom of the initial boot menu screen. I think it's F6 that allows options. What you want is to select Safe Graphics, which will run a generic VESA video driver during boot. This will allow the boot sequence to finish and get you (hopefully) to the desktop.

Comment

What would I do after I got to the desktop if my videocard doesn't allow me on in anything else then safe mode?

Comment

Are you saying that you have already tried booting the LiveCD in Safe Graphics mode and it still 'fails?'

Comment

Nono, I booted it in safe mode, Actually I am currently on it in safe mode. I mean after I have it installed, How is it going to work if it had problems installing because of my videocard?

Comment

The installer does not have the ability to determine which of the zillion models of graphics chips you have in your system, unfortunately. So the selection of functional video settings in the installer is limited. Once you have Linux installed, and you are able to take advantage of the full range of available drivers, there are choices available that cover most (but not 100%) of the graphics chips out there today.

Comment

Very Good! That's what I wanted to here.

The fact that you are able to boot the LiveCD and get to the desktop, even if you have to use Safe Graphics mode, is a good thing. Did you actually 'install' from the initial LiveCD boot menu, or are you 'taking it for a test try?'

Assuming in the former, that you actually installed, then you will need to follow instructions for obtaining and installing the required drivers for your nVidia video card. Review Dibl's Nvidia 8800GTS -- Card and Driver Tips

If you are simply 'test trying' at the moment, it is still good news. It means that you can perform the Installation form the Desktop. You will need to select the VESA driver when you get to the video card selection in order to finish the installation. Then again, refer to Dibl's post for the 8800GTS.

Comment

Working...
                              X